It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Make Sure All Your Pets are Warm and Have Food and Water...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am very proud of my Generation for one thing, the way we treat dogs.

When I was a kid a dogs life was worth nothing. Cats even less.

I have watched my Country evolve and recognize the value of creatures.

So, let's make sure all animals are not freezing and have food and water.

Make sure all water is not frozen. Feed them something warm.

If you have horses put their blankets on.

I know most here at ATS already do these things. Just a reminder...

Thank you,

WAIH

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

And dress your animals accordingly!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

We don't see eye-to-eye on much of anything, but here's something we agree on.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

It should be noted that leaving an animal outside in freezing temperatures is classified as aggravated animal cruelty, which thanks to President Obama is now a felony charge and carries a prison sentence with it, in all 50 States. If you see anyone doing this to an animal, dial 911 and report it as a crime in progress. You'll save a life and prevent that individual from being able to allowed treat an animal that way again.

Death by hypothermia is a very painful, slow way to die. People who do that should be left out overnight in the same conditions wearing nothing but the clothes on their backs, exactly as they did to their animal. However, since that is not an option, we need to make examples out of them instead.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

i am curious - what decade were you born in - and which nation ?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Agreed make sure your animals are dressed warm. This horse has special PJ's.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You know what, I like the good thought you put in this thread. Take good care of the pets is important.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Death by hypothermia is a very painful, slow way to die. People who do that should be left out overnight in the same conditions wearing nothing but the clothes on their backs, exactly as they did to their animal. However, since that is not an option, we need to make examples out of them instead.

Since most animals don't wear clothes, the people who neglect the animals under their care by leaving them in freezing temperatures should be left out wearing nothing but their furry backs. Clothing would be too kind.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

It should be noted that leaving an animal outside in freezing temperatures is classified as aggravated animal cruelty, which thanks to President Obama is now a felony charge and carries a prison sentence with it, in all 50 States.

Can you refer me to any sources? I'm trying to find more information about this, but not having any luck. All I've found is this, which only applies to military bases. Everything else I find only pertains to state laws.

I ask because I have feral cats that I couldn't get inside if my life depended on it! They have plenty of food and water and shelter, but that's about the best I can do for them.

And I'm a little wary of letting my black lab out now in the wee hours of the morning -- at his demand I should say! He's been loving the cold weather (unlike me!), and absolutely refuses to wear a sweater. I'd hate for someone to see/hear him out at 4 in the morning and think he's been abandoned out there and call the authorities...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

Since most animals don't wear clothes, the people who neglect the animals under their care by leaving them in freezing temperatures should be left out wearing nothing but their furry backs. Clothing would be too kind.

When we do public service announcements on this subject, we equate regular clothes...not with outerwear or hats/scarves/gloves/shoes with the amount of protection an animal's fur provides them in the same conditions. But you're right, clothing is being quite a bit more generous than what abusers deserve.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

All 50 States finalized

That's the most recent one I could grab quickly. My apologies...I just realized I should have worded my post better. Not all 50 States deem leaving pets to freeze as that particular charge. That's usually city or county ordinance...but most have temperature limits, both hot and cold, for what constitutes cruelty. However, that charge is punishable by prison sentence in all 50 States. Sorry, trying to do a million things at once today.

And your feral cats and dog are not even remotely what I'm referring to...I won't post pics because I cannot even stand to look at them myself, but I'm talking about dogs and cats frozen to the ground. No shelter whatever. No one to let them back inside when it becomes too cold for them. Literally frozen solid. Google it if you can handle it. I cannot. Not anymore.

I've got a mastiff/lab and a border collie and both of these fools like the cold. They'll be shivering and still want to go out in it. But I'm not leaving them unprotected in 32° or below conditions for so long that icicles are forming on their eyelids.

And no way can I accommodate all the feral cats I care for. They have to stay outside, and they do...on my plastic sheet covered patio with a space heater and warm blankets. So I'm providing them more than adequate shelter.

You're doing the same, so no one should have any reason to call the police on you. I wouldn't worry too much about that...most people let their dogs out for a spell, even during cold weather. They don't make sweaters big enough for my dog, but if he insists on lying out on the porch when it's cold I'll wrap a blanket around him. My other dog is a like a giant fluffy sheep, so he lies next to her to stay warm most of the time.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You know what? I agree with you! However it is an uphill battle. Look at the amount of so called adults having children who can't afford taking care of them! I know a few people myself who bitch and moan they can't pay the bills yet feel entitled enough to get a pet. As I always say to anyone considering a pet? "Can you afford taking them to a VET if they get sick?".

Feel bad for these animals, but feel a lot worse for those you posted this too who have children.......

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

All 50 States finalized

That's the most recent one I could grab quickly. My apologies...trying to do a million things at once today.

Thank you so much -- and no apologies necessary! I appreciate you finding it for me. I was hoping you'd have better keywords than I could think up. We do our best for them, but wanted to be sure we weren't missing something. We converted an old dog run to a cattery for the ferals, and we covered an extra extra large dog crate with an insulated tarp which I sewed up to fit snugly. Between the crate and the old dog house still in there, they seem quite content. They are able to come and go as they please, but they don't seem to go anywhere... they pretty much stay in the yard and the fields behind us.

And your feral cats and dog are not even remotely what I'm referring to...I won't post pics because I cannot even stand to look at them myself...

I can't bear to look either. I know it happens and that's all I need to know.

They don't make sweaters big enough for my dog, but if he insists on lying out on the porch when it's cold I'll wrap a blanket around him. My other dog is a like a giant fluffy sheep, so he lies next to her to stay warm most of the time.

How sweet! That must be adorable.

Thanks again -- I appreciate you taking the time to find it for me.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Oh, no trouble at all. I'm happy to do it. Sounds like you are a softy for ferals, too. I have one who is an unusually tiny cat...about six months kitten size, but she's an adult. Her name is Oreo. She's afraid of the other cats and won't come on the patio, so we gathered up a bunch of scrap wood and built her a house.

We covered it in plastic and set it on blocks so the floor won't get wet. It's got an eating area and an insulated bedroom in the back with flannel blankets. It has plastic windows so she has a view. We installed a flap so she can get in and out. And she lives in it. None of the other cats get in Oreo's house, either. They leave it alone because they know it's hers. True story.😁

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

Sounds like you are a softy for ferals, too.

Guilty as charged! My husband is the real softy though. He loves animals... and their people. Other people not so much!

I have one who is an unusually tiny cat...about six months kitten size, but she's an adult. Her name is Oreo.

LOL! Oreo sounds just like my Peasy. She fit in the palm of my hand when she came to us, trucking across the road with her brother right behind her. She's white and gray, her brother is all gray, and they looked like rats in the dark, but they were little tiny kittens, and they never grew bigger than about a 6-month-old kitten. He took over a spot in my hubby's workbench on the patio. She took over a spot in a baker's rack that I use for gardening tools (that I just fixed up for her with a big cardboard box and fleece bedding). No one but no one takes her spot! She thinks she's the biggest and baddest cat around. Every so often she comes in the house and snubs everyone with four furry legs except our black lab. She looks so cute curled up next to him sleeping. For some reason she adores him, and he tolerates her

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nice thread, good for the heads up.

I shared one similar thread(don't mind the summer tips yet apply that to winter tips instead) in the past about caution during a Holidays for pets. So, as New Years approaches hope this helps:

With all the fireworks and other holiday activity, your pets/companion animals may be overwhelmed;

• Safe bet is to keep all pets at home. Even dogs, who have never been frightened of loud noises may be upset.

• Nervous pets may need to be kenneled as they may hurt themselves in a frenzy during various noise.

• Comfortable pets: while you're not home, leave on a radio or TV, new or favorite toys and treats offered, quite comfortable area of the house...

• Some nervous pets may need medication(see your Vet) or visit your pet shop for, safe, calming herbal remedies.

• As an active time of year for runaway pets, make sure they have on their collars, as well as are in secured area/s.

• If they must be outside in kennel/s, etc., make sure the area is cool and water-with ice cubes to last longer- is provided, also frozen water bottles help to cool off.

• Large Animals/Farm Animals, keep in their stalls and cages

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: *

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Nice thread, good for the heads up.

I shared one similar thread(don't mind the summer tips yet apply that to winter tips instead) in the past about caution during a Holidays for pets. So, as New Years approaches hope this helps:

With all the fireworks and other holiday activity, your pets/companion animals may be overwhelmed;

• Safe bet is to keep all pets at home. Even dogs, who have never been frightened of loud noises may be upset.

• Nervous pets may need to be kenneled as they may hurt themselves in a frenzy during various noise.

• Comfortable pets: while you're not home, leave on a radio or TV, new or favorite toys and treats offered, quite comfortable area of the house...

• Some nervous pets may need medication(see your Vet) or visit your pet shop for, safe, calming herbal remedies.

• As an active time of year for runaway pets, make sure they have on their collars, as well as are in secured area/s.

• If they must be outside in kennel/s, etc., make sure the area is cool and water-with ice cubes to last longer- is provided, also frozen water bottles help to cool off.

• Large Animals/Farm Animals, keep in their stalls and cages

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great tips...

Thanks

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Most long time members here on ATS know my old name for which I will not reveal here...

Those people know that I am a veterinary surgeon with over 30 years of experience (especially in animal behaviour and well being).

To the OP : You are right that animals should be kept warm in extreme cold conditions (especially outside dwelling animals such as sheep, cattle etc and also that all of these animals should have free access to unfrozen water, warm bedding and food adapted to their physiological requirements...)

However... PLEASE do not tell people to give warm food to inside/outside dwelling animals...

Just because YOU in your own personal situation think it is right and also because you are a human and we (as humans) are used to warm and cooked foods you think that animals should be treated as humans...

YOU ARE WRONG :

Cooking is certainly unique to humans.

There's no other species that does it.

There's obvious reasons for that because we're the only ones that can make fire which is a pre-requisite. In a away fire comes first and cooking becomes a process after it. It's becoming clear that really cooking provides quite a number of advantages.

Richard Wrangham from Harvard has been doing a lot of experiments looking at how cooking can change the nutritional value of food.

What it seems is that the process of warming food up: in a sense denaturing it has a number of effects. One is that food is much more tender.

That we know. If you eat a cooked carrot instead of a raw carrot it's much easier.

We can spend less time chewing, we can swallow it faster and we can digest it faster. It seems that it's an extension of things we see in other animals.

Animals who use techniques often in their stomachs to tenderise food seem to try and make it more easily absorbable.

If we turn to the other question of when all this happened the real question is when do we first find evidence of fire?

That seems to be about half a million years ago or so.

We don't find direct evidence of cooking then but we do see over the next 100,000 years or so the beginnings of things like burnt stone which suggests that meat is cooked.

It's probably goes quite a long way back in our evolutionary history and some people would argue it's really a very major change in the way we are able to live and survive.

More here : www.thenakedscientists.com...

Dogs and cats are naturally carnivourous animals that are used to either scavenging or hunting live prey... Even domisticated animals... Believe me... If you reallly delved deep into different species and the way they react to their environnement you would understand.

They have their own way of coping with nature and also metabolising their food without US humans interfering and giving them the same care and food that we humans are used to.

Let them get on with it please.

I see what you are getting at and understand that you think (And it is true in some ways...) some people do not care about the way they treat their animals, but you cannot save the whole animal kingdom with one post that has no information apart from your own personal views.

Kindest and warmest regards

Lags

edit on 29-12-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing... My apologies

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
That's great advice. Thanks for reminding people.

new topics

top topics

join