It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More states confirm suspected cyberattacks sourced to Department of Homeland Security

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

ATLANTA - Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Aaron Diamant has learned two more states’ election agencies have confirmed suspected cyberattacks linked to the same U.S. Department of Homeland Security IP address as last month’s massive attack in Georgia.
In the past week, the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office has confirmed 10 separate cyberattacks on its network over the past 10 months that were traced back to DHS addresses.
In a letter this week, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson told Kemp the department sourced the mid-November activity in Georgia to a federal contractor conducting what he called "normal" internet searches on the Secretary of State's website. But Kemp says there’s a problem with that answer.
“We haven't been able to recreate this"

More states confirm suspected cyberattacks sourced to Department of Homeland Security

I will add more relevant snipets in a second, but I find it shocking I don't hear New York Times report on these election system breaches by the DHS. I suppose a working theory is that DHS was testing the security of the systems, which led to their calling for control of it nearer to the election. Like "oh we found some weaknesses, we better take over the election." But That could be just as far fetched as theory that maybe they just happened to be trying to hack the results in favor of someone else?

In any case, all we know at this time is that Sec. of States for Georgia, Kentucky, and West Virginia all lay claims that the same DHS IP compromised their systems without authorization, request, or approval.

Through an open-records request, Diamant acquired the results of a survey Kemp asked the National Association of Secretaries of State to send to its members.

West Virginia wrote back, "This IP address did access our election night results on November 7, 2016." Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

Unsatisfied with the response he got from Johnson, Kemp fired off a letter Wednesday to loop in President-elect Donald Trump. He is still awaiting a response.

"We just need to ask the new administration to take a look at this and make sure that we get the truth the people of Georgia are deserving to know that and really demanding it,” Kemp said.

In an emailed statement the Kentucky Secretary of State's office told us it believes the IP address that sparked all this did not attack its system.

West Virginia's Secretary of State did not respond to our request for comment, neither did DHS.

I wonder what was the purpose? We can only speculate at this time, more information is required. Information this agency is not commenting on for now.

edit on 12-16-2016 by worldstarcountry because: adding video

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Homeland security...

YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Homeland security...

YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!

I believe we'll find they were doing the job they were asked to do by the Obama admin. For reference please refer back to the IRS targeting Conservatives and then pleading the fifth, destroying hard drives and E-mails.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

They should at least name the agency properly and call it Shalomland Insecurity

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

Thats right. The real Homeland it refers to does sit on the Mediterranean doesn't it? We best be careful, some around here do not appreciate those allegations though.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Inconceivable!!!!

It was putin
and russia
and the soviet union
and the communists

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Inconceivable!!!!

It was putin
and russia
and the soviet union
and the communists

Mor elike it was a DHS op so Obama could ensure if Trump won they could de legitimize his term.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Oh boy. This is being super-sensationalized by Channel 2 and slightly less so by GA Sec of State Kemp. Let's examine the language from the 3rd video down:

"More states confirm suspected cyberattacks"
"a massive cyber attack."
"state IP address that came under attack"
"assured us that cyber attack did not breach the state's firewall"
"looking for evidence of similar attacks"

Then you've got the article source:

In an emailed statement the Kentucky Secretary of State's office told us it believes the IP address that sparked all this did not attack its system. West Virginia's Secretary of State did not respond to our request for comment, neither did DHS.

West Virginia wrote back, "This IP address did access our election night results on November 7, 2016." Kentucky responded the same IP address “did touch the KY (online voter registration) system on one occasion, 11/1/16.”

“We haven't been able to recreate this the way they explained it to us,” Kemp said. Kemp also told Diamant that DHS has yet to explain at least nine other suspected network scans linked to DHS IP addresses over the last year on or around important primary and presidential election dates. Kemp's call for answers is amplified now by the National Association of Secretaries of State, or NASS

I suppose a working theory is that DHS was testing the security of the systems, which led to their calling for control of it nearer to the election.

Yes, it sounds like somebody at the DHS scanned the networks. I wonder if their scanning was isolated to networks with election related systems (voting info, voting registration, election reporting)? That might indicate that the DHS was looking to demonstrate that GA (who as another video points out, declined DHS assistance) wasn't adequately securing its s#.

I don't see any reason the DHS shouldn't be compelled to answer Kemp's questions satisifactorily though.

That said it seems like the main interest folks have in this issue is a false belief that it's possible evidence of attempted election rigging or they just want to have something to say re the allegations of Russian hacking of the DNC/DCCC/Podesta/etc.

Unfortunately for the former hypothesis, there would be no way to rig the election results via the Internet. Votes are counted at the county level and then given to the state election authority. Point being, there'd be no way to change the vote totals in the counties. That data from the counties which is aggregated by the sate is eventually made publicly accessible and then can even be verified by the counties.

The major concerns would be access to voter information, manipulation of voter registrations (assuming a state that allows online registration, voters could be misled into believing they'd registered), manipulation of information about voting to suppress voter turnout and more generally, fomenting distrust of the voting process.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Well I drew no conclusions thus far citing the need for more information. Information I will assume the DHS will be forthcoming with in the near future.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The Obama administration in collusion with Hilary Clinton and the DNC are demonstrating the well known fact that true and pure evil gnashes it's teeth as it falls to the sword of American liberty.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
right....because homeland security would make sure that whoever wanted to trace their IP back to them, would be able to.....got it.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Of course they were. HRC and Obama with the Smoke screen of the Russians. Me Thinks "They Protest too Much"...

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So you mean to say ...it , it really ...wasnt putin
I think the Fake News and the Covert operations managers have to come up with a better plan if they want to turn on Russia or any other group .Best to get your own back yard cleaned up USA .

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Most of the people in my circle wouldn't even believe it if I shared this. I would say I'm speechless but I'm really just not even surprised anymore. We (the public) are the enemy of our own "leaders" and the puppetmasters.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

We should be more worried of cyber attacks from our own government than Putin.

It made me sad to even write that.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Man its at the point where it is just best not to be so connected. Im making an analogue pledge to myself. Bust out the paper and pen, VHS, CRT's, and vacuum tubes!! Hack proof!

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11

They should at least name the agency properly and call it Shalomland Insecurity

Que the antiSemitic nonhumor!

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
There will be so many treason trials in the American future if there is any justice in this world.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't see any reason the DHS shouldn't be compelled to answer Kemp's questions satisifactorily though.

And that is the problem. They are refusing. If it's above board why refuse?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I can only think to say "wow".

DHS has some explaining to do.

top topics

join