It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwanted Win 7 upates that should not have happened

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I run win 7 home edition

I have my security setting set to "never check for Updates"

In the services I have updates stopped and disabled.

Decided to do a clean up of my "C" drive as part of a general search for crap. In their was 1.8 or 9 gb of "win 7 Update" leftovers. After the "C drive clean finished, the computer went straight into auto restart and did an update. Don't know what KB it was.

As soon as I got it going I opened my list of about 50-60 bad KBs and only one was installed so I promptly uninstalled and restarted the computer again. Apologies I did not write it down so I stuffed myself there.

Both my update settings were set to "never check for Updates" and "updates stopped and disabled."

Thoughts on this appreciated from all.

thanks

Just in case these are useful to someone

WINDOWS TELEMETRY & WINDOWS 10 PREPARATION. DO NOT INSTALL OR NOT NEEDED.
KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
KB2670838 (The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update
KB2882822 (Very fishy update that just popped up with not enough detail about it)
KB2902907 (Microsoft Security Essentials)
KB2952664 Meant to help users navigate the transition from Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 and 8.1, and Windows 7 RTM (respectively) to Windows 10
KB2952664 ("Get Windows 10" Assistant)
KB2976978 Meant to help users navigate the transition from Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 and 8.1, and Windows 7 RTM (respectively) to Windows 10
KB2977759 Meant to help users navigate the transition from Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 and 8.1, and Windows 7 RTM (respectively) to Windows 10
KB2977759 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7)
KB2990214 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7)
KB3012973 (Force Trigger Download and Install of Windows 10)
KB3015249 (Adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 7 & Windows 8)
KB3021917 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation + Telemetry)
KB3022345 (Telemetry)
KB3035583 (GWX Update installs the "Get Windows 10" app in Windows 7 & Windows 8)
KB3042058 (Microsoft claims its a security update but it contains Winlogon Spying)
KB3044374 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8 systems)
KB3050267 (Windows 10 upgrade preparation but also adds the option in GPEDIT to disable Windows 10 upgrade altogether so you may want to actually install this)
KB3064683 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8)
KB3065987 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7)
KB3065988 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8)
KB3068708 (Telemetry)
KB3072318 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8)
KB3074677 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3075249 (Telemetry)
KB3075851 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7)
KB3075853 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8)
KB3080149 (Telemetry)
KB3081437 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3081454 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3081954 (Telemetry Update for Windows 7)
KB3083324 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7)
KB3083325 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8)
KB3083710 (Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 7, see this thread)
KB3083711 (Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 8, see this thread)
KB3086255 Flagged as an Important update. It disables SafeDisc games in Windows Vista, 7, and 8/8.1)
KB3088195 (Miscorosft Claims it's a security update but also has a key logger on the Kernel Level)
KB3090045 (Windows 10 Upgrade Update for Windows 7/8)
KB3093983 (Microsoft claims it's a security update but it contains IE spying)
KB3102810 (Fixes an issue regarding long wait while searching for Windows Updates but also has Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7)
KB3102812 (Fixes an issue regarding long wait while searching for Windows Updates but also has Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8)
KB3107998 (Removes Lenovo USB Blocker)
KB3112336 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8)
KB3112343 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7)
KB3118401 Allows Windows 10 dependant Universal Runtime apps to run on earlier versions of Windows.
KB3123862 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7 & 8)
KB3133977 Can cause Asus PCs to freeze
KB3135445 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7)
KB3135449 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8)
KB3138612 (Fishy update to for Windows Updates)
KB3138615 (Security update for IE11 which adds Windows 10 preparation.)
KB3139929 (Fishy update for Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 Upgrade) - (Security update for IE11 which adds Windows 10 preparation.)
KB3146449 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7/8)
KB3148198 (Cumulative update for IE11. Includes previous Windows 10 preparation.)
KB3150513 (Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7/8)
KB3197868 November, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3197868)

edit on 10-12-2016 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Dear lord..... a surivor.... im so sorry you had a breach.... give me your os.. YOUR OS....... NOM NOM NOM...

seriously never come out of your bunker. Windows ten is the new state assigned attire. We like it because we are told to.... in fact its madatory.... it has apps.... we like apps... thats what they tell me...

Microsoft is the only way.... microsoft for the future..... send help.
edit on AMAmerica/Chicago351212am by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Ive been using windows 7 on my lappy for years but just yesterday it was giving me the whole "windows need to retsart to install updates"

I also have mine set to never check for updates and was wondering if it related to my lappy being sick lately.

Does this have anything to do with what your talking about?
Has windows decided to update win 7 against our will?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I've been fighting the windows 10 update for about a year now and although there are ways to "kill" the update notice for a short while, it always seems to come back regardless of settings. I eventually gave up fighting it but refused to update so I'm living with the "your upgrade is ready to install" box permanently on my desktop. If anyone happens to know how to kill this please explain here. I will mention that if/when it decides to update for you, you can "roll back" the update as long as you do so within 24 hours of it completing.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Ive been using windows 7 on my lappy for years but just yesterday it was giving me the whole "windows need to retsart to install updates"

I also have mine set to never check for updates and was wondering if it related to my lappy being sick lately.

Does this have anything to do with what your talking about?
Has windows decided to update win 7 against our will?

Has windows decided to update win 7 against our will? - I think there is little room for any other explanation. I wonder where this kind of thing will expand to? Will it get to point that your computer will just be able to access any websites on a bad site list. Will everyone's search criteria get sent to police, govt, welfare agencies, etc.

Will car maker stealerships do the same thing if we take our car into their yards for service and install conversation recorders and send the data to road traffic authorities and a dozen other organisations?

Will fridges be equipped with smell sensors that can accurately identify 1,000 different foods and send data back via wireless connection to retailers, govt nutrition organisations, police and welfare agencies? Will fast food outlets match orders with credit card numbers so your credit card will record not just where you purchased items but what you also bought and will this get sent back to banks, govt etc.

Where will all this end, if it ever will.

I myself am starting to feel like I am falling down a funnel where my freedom, rights, privacy, choices and options are constantly being narrowed down.

More and more i am starting feel Iike I am somebodys property. The day I get blackmailed into getting chipped I will feel like I am 100% owned .

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Voiceofthemajority
I've been fighting the windows 10 update for about a year now and although there are ways to "kill" the update notice for a short while, it always seems to come back regardless of settings. I eventually gave up fighting it but refused to update so I'm living with the "your upgrade is ready to install" box permanently on my desktop. If anyone happens to know how to kill this please explain here. I will mention that if/when it decides to update for you, you can "roll back" the update as long as you do so within 24 hours of it completing.

Thank you for that. How do you do the rollback?

thanks

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

To rollback an installed update to Windows 10, open the Start screen or Start menu and select Settings. Navigate to Update & security > Recovery. Click or tap the “Get started” button under “Go back to an earlier build” to uninstall the current build of Windows 10 and go back to the one you were using previously.

That's the short version, if you want to go in depth try this...

HowtoGeek Rollback Win10

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
A couple years back I turned off a service on advice from a forum about stopping win7 updates. I now have a flag in my tray with a small red circled x, not an update or hassle since(related to unwanted updates). But no updates at all on the flip side. I really can't remember what service I turned off. I just googled and ran with it, and it worked. My Win7 Ultimate, not and issue since, barred a few negligible quirks here and there. I'm afraid now to undo this...from all the scare stories from win7 self updating to win10.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
How about this handy little fix.....called Never10....
www.howtogeek.com...

more info
www.majorgeeks.com...
edit on Sat Dec 10 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Also try GWX. It is a free download and stops Win10 in its tracks.

GWX

Hope that helps. It helped me.

So did Never10. Both great little helpers.

P

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Never 10 and GWX both work but I don understand how you guys are still getting updates. All I had to do was choose to "never check for updates" and I haven't gotten 1 update or a Windows 10 notification in over a year

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: awhispersecho

I haven't gotten anything weird lately.
Turned off updates a couple of months ago.

But...on the laptop, updates were turned off last year...and suddenly gwx.exe was appearing again.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

It just makes no sense, the Get Windows popup has been completely discountinued as of July. But it looks like you may need to download the updates below to remove it if you had already previously had it on your PC.

winsupersite.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Never10 removed it.

Updates were so screwed up for us, we had to turn them off.
It was a constant battle....taking hours and hours to get the updates...with the CPU running hard....then the updates wouldn't download and install. Or they would download but fail.

We gave up.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe,

I don't know what the back end change is that they made to Windows Update that causees it but Windows Update always puts a full load on the CPU and has fans running full blast lately. That's with Win 10 and Win 8.1. Which is why mine are disabled. But even when I occasionally go in and manually allow it to run because I want maybe one specific update, same thing all the time. CPU load and fans screaming. This forced update thing gets my blood boiling like you can't imagine. On top of forcing updates on people, they can even get the updates that they are forcing down our throats to work properly. Pathetic.
edit on 17-12-2016 by awhispersecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Just one suggestion. Check what type of video card you have. I had a friend recently with Win7 that I dropped a video card in the machine, and the cpu usage went way down. It was only a $40 card after the rebate.

The other suggestion would be to look in control panel and check what the updating settings are set to. I think you can force Windows to NOT update through a registry edit-which SHOULD make it permanent, unless Microsoft manually removes the entry when you update. I found it, but BEWARE editing the registry. If you don't understand how to do it, watch a video with someone showing you, or ask someone who is tech savvy to help you with it.

Here is the page that explains how to do it:

searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com...

3. What registry key turns on/off Automatic Update?
HKLMSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdateAU
Value: NoAutoUpdate
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: [see below]
0 = Automatic Updates are enabled. (default)
1 = Automatic Updates will be disabled.

What you do is go to Start Button-Run and type in Regedit. Say ok when it asks for your permission. Browse to the folder listed above through the registry (HKLMSoftware.....). You should see a value there for NoAutoUpdate. If it is set to 0, double click it and take the 0 out and put a 1 in it. Say ok and reboot. This should force Windows permanently to allow you to ONLY update it manually. Do this at your own risk, as you can really mess up Windows if you accidentally delete something or modify something you're not supposed to.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
InFriNiTee,

I appreciate it but I am familiar with Registry hacks and things of that nature. I tend to "alter" my machines quite a bit. I actually thought MS took even the Registry edit option for updates away with the Anniversary update. Either way, I have my newer laptop running Windows 10 and allowing updates. I have "altered" some of Windows behavior and have done 2 fresh installs on it but I don't care too much as It's a general use laptop. Same with my Surface, my 8 inch tablet and my Kangaroo.

My gaming rig is actually on 8.1. I used to allow updates till a little over a year ago. Completely disabled them and I occasionally will manually install an update if I want it. Even then, there is something about the way Windows update runs in the background that really makes a machine scream. I don't install Geforce Experience either and sometimes run modified drivers on my GPU's. Dual 980's. This machine will never see Win 10 due to forced updates. It's 1 thing to give MS control over a 800$ laptop, another thing to give them control over 4000$ beast.

I still have a Win 7 machine, a laptop that updates have been completely disabled on for at least 2 years. Not 1 problem with it other than showing it's age a bit. I've been a fan of MS for years, very disappointed in the direction they have taken and decisions they have made the last year or 2. I have been very vocal about it to them as well. It's not the products, it's the details. I mean when you are forcing updates that don't install correctly or even worse, break systems, maybe you should rethink the whole forced updates thing.

join