It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tectonic Plate Movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I am a novice on the subject of Tectonic plates thus hoping the experts might provide me your opinions.

With the ice melting at an accelerated rate thus increasing water volume thus increasing the ocean weight.

In conjunction with both ocean water and atmosphere increasing in temperature.

And the Tectonic plates being malleable...

Do any of you experts think the world could begin to witness more Tectonic Plate activity within our life time?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

I am not a expert in the field but I did find this.

This is a brief description.
The main features of plate tectonics are: The Earth's surface is covered by a series of crustal plates. The ocean floors are continually moving, spreading from the center, sinking at the edges, and being regenerated. Convection currents beneath the plates move the crustal plates in different directions.
From the same source.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RedGolem

Thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There's also a phenomena called Post-glacial Rebound that has been occurring since the glacial retreat of the last great ice age. In short, since the Earth's crust sits on the liquid mantle, the increased weight of glaciers present during the ice age pushed the crust down in to the mantle. It's bouncing back.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolvacron

Thank you. And very interesting.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

I am only familiar with plates...no way near being well versed & not expert

the plates creep along a 1-3 centimeters per year... I see no reason for any increase in speed unless we are hit by a massive rock-from-space or a super-volcano explodes...

venting at plate edges, Greenland landmass growth will be the major transformations affecting the tectonic plates...my opinion

the 'every mountain and island will flee' from Bible scriptures is Not speaking of polar slippage/polar reversal or plate movement, the Army invasion by 'Angels' will be the ones' terra-forming the planet with devices of high technology
causing a very changed landscape

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Don't forget that the plates move over the mantle as well - whilst there is plenty of volcanic activity at the boundaries, you get hotspot activity as well - for example Hawaii and Yellowstone. And both of those can be traced backwards over time:

Hawaiian - Emperor Seamount Chain

Yellowstone Hotspot

Funnily enough, the Yellowstone one seems to have a fair share of big eruptions.

top topics

join