It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello AirSelfie, Goodbye Selfie Stick!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
So this nifty gadget is available for order now on Kickstarter which ships out in March. I am not much of a picture person, but this looks perfect for my mom, who not only takes ten million photos every time I bring the kids, but she kind of takes crappy ones too lol! Its basically a wi-fi flying camera, but not clunky like a typical drone. this thing is integrated into your cell phone case (new models) making it ultra portable.

DNAIndia
Simply called AirSelfie the device generates its own WiFi that a smartphone can pair with, and comes equipped with a rechargeable battery through a cell phone case. Additionally, a vibration-absorber system and a host of in-flight stability systems claim to offer fluid flight and sharp images. Compatible with most popular smartphones such as iPhone (6, 6s, 7 and 7 Plus), Huawei P9, Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, it is comprised of four propellers and a 5MP video camera with which you can take both photographs and video recordings.

With the built-in 260 mAh 7.4 V battery and a 4GB microSD card, the mini-drone can fly for up to three minutes on a single charge, and is controlled by its own app (available for iOS and Android.) For obvious reasons, the AirSelfie will work well for those personal selfies, and will also prove beneficial while taking group shots and family photos from up to 66 feet away. Users can take indoor and outdoor aerial photos of subjects and locations that would otherwise be unreachable.

I am going to order one for my mom, she is going to get a kick out of this. Ships right on time for her Bday too!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Looks like a nice gadget, however. I have already lost or seriously damaged 3 drones (as i am a hopeless pilot). The cost to me? the price of the drone plus the microSD card (x2)

Going off my past record it depends on the price if i buy one, in saying that its the latest gadget so i probably won't be able to resist

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I am going to order one for my mom, she is going to get a kick out of this. Ships right on time for her Bday too!

Brah - am still waiting on my Tinitel....
Would bet it doesn't ship on time.

Call me old fashioned but WTF happened to taking pictures of things without people in them, or heaven forbid- taking a picture of your friends - without you in it!!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

well it does not seem to be designed to fly off at great distances the way the traditional commercial drones are. 66 feet may seem far, but most selfies will not even be taken at that distance. I think it would be a great tool to have at family reunions or nights out with friends in the club district. Hell, I may use this at the club, now thats an idea. I will just borrow it from my mom though lol! It was the only reason so far I can think of using it, because I don't really do pictures so much.
a reply to: Jukiodone

I do landscape pictures when on vacations, but other than that I am not a daily pictures type of person.
edit on 11-30-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
One good gust of wind and it's a goner...

That would be an expensive toy to loose...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

we'll see about that!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
This is so silly. You won't be able to fly that thing in any type of wind, it will get carried away. It is only 52 grams.

Anyone with any type of flying experience with micro sized drones and helicopters, they know this idea will fail miserably outdoors. Heck, you won't even be able to fly it indoors if they have a ceiling fan or their air conditioner is on. I know from experience.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Back in those days, you were considered conceited if you took pictures of yourself. I also don't understand the selfie thing. Now they have gadgets so you can take your own picture. Loving yourself is one thing, but taking pictures of yourself and posting them on Facebook is like "look at me! Kiss, kiss, kiss," lol.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Well, considering how a many places actually banned selfie sticks, I wonder what regulations, if any, will affect this?

Interesting to say the least. I foresee a future where news cameras are replaced with drones.

A little off topic here, but if we could create a new network of drones, like lets say 5 to 10 feet higher than a two story home, we could have "corridors" in the air, of which your drone would take and use to get to certain locations. Think of it as another layer or plane of movement, but for allocated for drones. An invisible street in the air for drones, heh all the selfies and food to pick up for lazy asses.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Great, a gadget that will allow Kim Kardashian to take pictures of her bottom from new angles.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I can't wait to be hit by one of these things. I imagine most may be intoxicated while piloting their stupid camera.

And I agree with the outdoor wind factors. I have a blast indoors in my large open spaced building, but nearly fail outdoors. Just a stiff gust and all sorts of nope.

Just wait...
'DID YOU JUST FLY THIS INTO MY HEAD!!??" Proceeds to throw "AIR Selfie" into pool.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Ah good old narcissism. That's the American way!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Brah - am still waiting on my Tinitel....
Would bet it doesn't ship on time.

Call me old fashioned but WTF happened to taking pictures of things without people in them, or heaven forbid- taking a picture of your friends - without you in it!!

Because humans seem to be such social creatures, technology is becoming more about relationships. People like to connect, and to show those connections to everyone else. Its a measurement of social status to have yourself pitured with many other people, showing those personal connections.

I don't care for it, either. But I get it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I personally think we should bronze the "selfie stick" and display it prominently in the Museum of American History as the most unapologetically selfish and egotistical device every created by mankind! "Hey, look at me!"

I think I threw up in my mouth a little the first time I saw one! I couldn't even believe it was true.

"Oh wait, turn around, we HAVE to go back...I left my selfie stick at the house!" is the mantra of our time.

(THUD!)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

on the plus side, the proliferation of this device, and the ensuing clones that are sure to follow, may finally mitigate the occasional accidental selfie suicide that we hear about every so many months.

And as far as people saying the wind will take it?? I do not understand this. I used to pilot my little Apache RC copter (no camera) outside all the time for the kids. It was never a problem on windy days, and I still see others at the local parks playing with them on windy days as well. I have never observed an issue with them being whisked away by a gust.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

"Hey, look at me" is common with humans. Its why there is hair dye in neon colors, flashy red sportscars, ridiculously loud stereos, gold jewelry, etc, etc. I had a morbidly obese friend that used to wear some of the nicest gold jewelry. A ring on every finger, etc. He has gastric bypass, and now that he does marathons, he no longer feels the need for all that gold. His self esteem/ego found equilibrium with greater health.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Just showed the vid to my wife....based on her response, i suspect these makers will be billionaires.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, they're kind of two different things, selfies vs. jewelry or hair dye. They're definitely related, but somewhat different in my mind.

e.g. Flashy jewelry or clothes says "Hey, look at me". Selfies say "Hey, look at me, no really...LOOK...AT...ME!!! Look what I'm doing, aren't you jealous????"

Indeed there is an element of vanity in both, but the selfie takes vanity and ego to a new level.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, they're kind of two different things, selfies vs. jewelry or hair dye. They're definitely related, but somewhat different in my mind.

e.g. Flashy jewelry or clothes says "Hey, look at me". Selfies say "Hey, look at me, no really...LOOK...AT...ME!!! Look what I'm doing, aren't you jealous????"

Indeed there is an element of vanity in both, but the selfie takes vanity and ego to a new level.

No kidding. LOL.

My best friends wife....floods social media with selfies. Bless her heart.

join