It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicon Valley frets over foreign worker crackdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Looks like the Trump Effect is spreading to Silicon Valley. The silicon valley businesses are disappointed with the results of the election, and some are calling for independence for California.

One silicon valley owner said it was stressful and painful because they stand for greater equality.

But what really seems to be the problem is H 1B workers, they want to hire them and Trump contends they are cheap labor and an alternative to hiring US workers.

Silicon said they may have to hire and set up shop outside the country then.

Is this because there is a labor shortage like Silicon V says?

Or is it cheap labor like Trump says?

Trump has warned H-1B visas are being used to bring cheap labour to the US

Before he was elected to be the following US president, Donald Trump had garnered the support of only one dominant billionaire in Silicon Valley: Facebook board member, founder of PayPal and Peter Thiel.

Select matter Select issue Top Reports Brexit US Election 2016 China slowdown Millennial Economy March of the Robot Plunging petroleum price International Panic Technology disruption Advertising Associated Automobiles

This week, Silicon Valley could not disguise its disappointment with the election result — with some venture capitalists and start-up founders even discussing a campaign for an independent California — while chief executives resorted to pledges to work collectively to make the world a much better place, with or without authorities.

” said an entrepreneur, Vivek Wadwha and Stanford fellow. On how a Trump management could affect web neutrality and tax, cyber security and trade questions flew.

The chief executive of cloud computing business Box, Aaron Levie, said seeing Mr Trump win had been “amazingly stressful” and “painful” for many in Silicon Valley who support greater equality.

But amid a sense of bewildered detachment in the remaining part of the US, a serious business issue emerged — that Mr Trump’s strategy for a wall to keep out illegal Mexican immigrants could end up hurting Silicon Valley’s growth prospects. The industry is worried he could procrastinate their hiring programmes dependent on H1B visas or allow it to be harder for them to fund foreign start-up creators.

Given the rate of growth we're seeing in so many different technology businesses from Facebook to Uber to Google or a company like Box, there’s only a shortage of really great ability,” Mr Levie said. “When you've got unbelievable talent that wants to work in your organisation, but you might be keeping them from doing this, that's fatal to competition and initiation.”

mit Kumar, chief executive at Trimian, an app programmer with employees in Silicon Valley and India, said a limitation of H1B visas for skilled guest workers could push on technology companies to invest more in foreign offices, like makers who'd moved abroad.

“If you can’t hire a certain man and bring them to lead more growth here, what might end up happening is you hire in India and China and Mexico he said. “It could not be good for Silicon Valley when it comes to jobs.”

In February, former IT workers were invited by Mr Trump on stage at a rally, as he argued that the H-1B visa is being used as a cheap labour programme, from Walt Disney, who'd were laid off and replaced from India.

HR practice leader at CEB, Brian Kropp, who works at tech firms with human resource officers, is encouraging them to make fewer foreign employees to be coped with by “Plan Bs”.

“It is totally unclear what is going to happen. At different points during the campaign, Trump said everything from completely shutting down the H-1B programme to making changes to it he said.

The US tech industry has lobbied for a simpler method to recruit talent — but it could get harder. It does appear highly likely there will be a set of rules that can dramatically ratchet immigration general back ” Mr Kropp said.

Companies fear losing out to other nascent Silicon-branded technology hubs that may hire foreign software engineers easily, start-ups worry talented expats will simply have the capacity to work at firms with large legal departments, and immigrants are worried they may be forced back to their home countries.

thetypicalindian.com... r-to-the-us

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It's about cheap labor for the most part. Look at what Disney did.

They had their American engineers train the h1 workers that were their replacement who got paid penny on the dollar, then were trapped into signing NDA.

I think Trump has a lot of things wrong but this isn't one.
edit on 441130America/ChicagoSun, 13 Nov 2016 21:44:28 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
So, the people in Silicone Valley who make moocho bucks don't want to lose the cheap illegal immigrants so they can keep their profits high and not have to pay out more of their money to regular American workers. They didn't get rich by being fair. I bet they get a lot of parts made in China where the wages are way lower too.

They may lose their place in the top ninety nine percent

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

It's about cheap labor for the most part.

It is always about $ or power, always.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Cry me a river...

Think how awful it will be for all of those Silicon Valley tech royals having to select from qualified, but unemployed, Americans.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
One silicon valley owner said it was stressful and painful because they stand for greater equality.

Right, greater equality and smaller salaries.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Immigration has always been about importing poverty, to undermined the labor force in the nation in favor of cheaper slave work.

Because that is what it is, anybody that makes less of the minimum wages, are paid under the table to evade taxes and keep the pay roll clean is encouraging slavery.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
hell yeah they use the H-1B visas to bring cheap labor.

now i know what this is going this sound like, so take anyway you want.

i know a man that has a fairly large landscapeing businesses that does this. but his is H-2A or B not sure about which one now been a few years since i've talked to him. of course it's not for high paying jobs but at that time he was paying his people 10 bucks a hr to start.when he started all he did was cut lawns for people in their neighbor hoods.
then he got pretty big, started hiring friends. after a while he was hiring from the employee services when he started picking up contracts for all kinds of businesses and shopping centers and many more different types of commercial contracts. pretty soon he had a fleet of twenty trucks and trailers with all the equipment needed and 3 people to a truck.
about five years after that he had about 60 local employees. all were U.S citizens.
i ran into him one day and he had a lot of hispanic workers on a new construction landscapeing job for a big mall job. i asked him why he had so many hispanic workers, he told me that back in 2006 he found out about the visa program and that he could hire about 10 people for what he was paying seven. he said he never looked back.

any way long story short, he told me he is down to 3 local employees all office workes and shop people, and according to the season he brings in 44 during the spring and summertime, and 30 during the fall and winter when work slows. he also said that he was fixing to buy two more landscapeing companies and do the same with them.

edit on 13-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Lol watch them cry foul when tariffs are imposed on their goods and they cannot flood the market every 3 months with cheap electronic and software in the latest fad to get more money. People will notice very little difference between computing power.

They will lose this battle so bad they will come back begging.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

I forgot that if you move it out of the country Trump said he would be for a tariff. Nice.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Easy was to fix the HB1 visa.......make it law they have to paid the same as a US citizen in that same position.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I occasionally hear about people agitating to try to make employers pay illegal immigrants the same as legal workers.

I have to laugh, because they don't get it. The whole point of using illegal immigrants is because you can get away with paying them low wages. For basic unskilled labor, this normally means less than minimum wage.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I occasionally hear about people agitating to try to make employers pay illegal immigrants the same as legal workers.

I have to laugh, because they don't get it. The whole point of using illegal immigrants is because you can get away with paying them low wages. For basic unskilled labor, this normally means less than minimum wage.

The point of equal pay is to eliminate the possibility of illegals getting jobs. Why hire illegals, and go through all the risk and in many cases the language gap when you can pay a min wage, that's the theory anyway.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Easy was to fix the HB1 visa.......make it law they have to paid the same as a US citizen in that same position.

Then they will cut US workers wages, make no mistake, this is about $.

top topics

join