It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump's Lawyers Ask for Delay of 'Trump U' Trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Donald Trump's attorneys have asked to delay the trial in the case against Trump University until after the inauguration, citing the "critical and all-consuming" work the president-elect has to do before he takes office in January. "Now that the election is over, we submit that the President-elect should not be required to stand trial during the next two months while he prepares to assume the Presidency. The time and attention to prepare and testify will take him away from imperative transition work at a critical time," Trump's attorneys write in court documents filed this weekend.

"The 69 days until inauguration are critical and all-consuming. President-Elect Trump must receive daily security briefings, make executive appointments (ultimately, thousands), and establish relationships with appointees, members of Congress, governors, and foreign leaders. He must also develop important policy priorities," they wrote. The trial in the civil suit brought against Trump's for-profit real-estate university, which students involved in another lawsuit described as a "fraudulent scheme," was originally scheduled for Nov. 28. If the judge approves the motion, the earliest the trial could take place is late January. Trump's attorneys also proposed allowing the president-elect to record a videotaped testimony prior to the trial date, arguing that would "ensure no additional delay of trial based on future scheduling unpredictability."

I didn't hear a lot about this case during the campaign since i was so busy looking at wikileaks but I knew it was coming up soon.
I would like to know for anyone more well informed exactly what the penalties would be if he's found guilty of this?

Is this an impeachable offense if found guilty? Or would he just have to pay up and that's it?
Not a great start to the job when you're going on trial for fraud.
www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's a Civil case. No impeachment.

They will end up continuing it.

Funny, they never sued until he began running for President.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

When you say they will keep continuing it do you mean they will keep delaying it? Filing motions and such?

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

And rightfully so. If they tried to do so at any other point, they would get ignored or intimidated into backing off. Suing him while he is on the big stage ensures a prompt response unless he wishes to be viewed in a not so good light. Smart move by the victims.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

This case will be settler in court now that Trump is president, is not a criminal case and because Trump was not a public servant at the time for the US government is nothing to be impeach about.

link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

When you say they will keep continuing it do you mean they will keep delaying it? Filing motions and such?

It's such a small matter in the big picture.

Unless Trump settles, which I doubt.

Trump has lawyers that could tie this thing up forever.

Or they might continue it until Trump leaves Office.

link   

That's because it's a clear case of vexatious litigation. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone in the GOP or DNC had a hand in organising the suit.

Apparently it's quite common for rich people in America to get a lot of frivolous or vexatious lawsuits. A lot of the time it's just a shameless cash grab.
edit on -060006pm11kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Lawsuits were filed in 2013 long before he ran for president.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Lawsuits were filed in 2013 long before he ran for president.

Apologies...Some filed then.

I was under the impression many jumped on after he began his run.

That it was pretty much a dead case.

However, If he committed fraud, he should be libel.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I know that there was a case with clinton, not sure if it was criminal or civil, but, the court decided to delay the case till he was out of office. although, I believe that it was settled out of court before that.
I have a feeling that they won't be going much further in this case while he's in office.

on a side note, completely not relevant to the discussion...
it seems that the white house might not be good enough for our newly elected president...

Donald Trump May Not Live in the White House Full-Time
www.justjared.com...
edit on 13-11-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Trump has sued hundreds of people. Many have sued him. Doubt it's all people trying to take advantage of a rich man. I might just be his actions.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
He can pardon himself.

Watch the heads explode. lol!

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I don't think he can pardon himself in a civil case. But his argument for having it delayed is because it would interfere with his doing his part in providing a smooth transition of gov't, which involves a lot! he'll probably get it because the judge will see having a smooth, PEACEFUL transition of power is regarded as a national security interest. and he could conceivably play out that story throughout his presidency. Now, if he thinks that his job will consist of traveling around the country rallying his base, like that some of the articles I've been reading seem to suggest, and being a part time president, well...
the judge might begin to think he has enough free time to be in court.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
He probably just slapped his name on something someone else was running then forgot about it.

new topics

top topics

join