It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This happened to me today (more like the driver in front of me)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This has probably been done before but I just want to tell you what happened to me today.

I was driving to the store the speeding limit to the next town over is 55, i'm behind some guy when this old lady and her husband come over into our lane!

She's going 30 in the left lane and literally crosses over into the right lane, her car was right matched up to the guy in front of me, he literally had to drive on the right of the shoulder to not get hit.

So I layed on my horn and she started going back and forth like she couldn't figure out which lane to pick or something, I didn't stop until she decided which lane she wanted to be in.

The guy was able to get back on the road safely and she stayed in the left lane at 30 mph I felt the need to pass her ass before she tried that # on me.

Like I said before and i'll say it again, old people need to be retested! Just paying 50 bucks every four years or whatever it is isn't enough, something needs to be done.

Their eyesight changes, they become senile sometimes, they get confused, and they become anxious and scared while they drive. They need to be retested.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
tell me about it. I live in Florida, retirement central, i used to think New York drivers were bad, not anymore. some of these old people can barely see over the steering wheel and what gets me is that they drive these huge cars

[edit on 1-25-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
[edit on 25-1-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
At least in theUK they have to be re-tested at 70 and then every 2 years (I think)

Oregon must have the worst elderly drivers in the whole of the USA. Either that or Bush & Blair have put a contract on me and the old buggers have taken them up on the offer

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Glad I found this thread. Last week a very similar thing happened to me:
Old guy's in front of me, barely moving, maybe creeping along at 5-10 mph
(in a 35-40 mph zone), so I changed lanes and the geezer decides to move over at the exact same time. I hit him, but I believe this is 100% his fault. He was going way to slow and then does not look. I slammed on the brakes and it was pretty much a fender bender, still. I cannot afford to have my junk car fixed (some light damage on front), and I don't need this hassle.

Plus, this guy could be a true menace towards less alert drivers than myself.

Here's the best part: this guy was really ancient and seemed really senile and out of it. I didn't get too much into as I was on my way to an appointment and said I'd call him later, fill out report later, etc. Which I did (called insurance, etc). Well I found out (via the police report) that this guy is:

96 YEARS OLD !!!!!!!

Have mercy on us all! Hang it UP already!

Just my luck to be in the right spot at the right time.

And of course, he was driving a Buick!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I can see both sides of this argument. Old people have to go places too, but they need to be a little smarter about when they go if you ask me. For an elderly person to decide to go out at 5:00 PM rush hour in almost any urban area is just careless. To then get on an Interstate, and drive 45 mph in a 65 while everyone else is just trying to get home is crazy.

Whoever said they just don't look is correct. When these folks started driving, there wasn't near as much to look for and look out for. While riding my motorcycle, I've had to kick car doors of elderly people several times to keep them from continuing over into my lane. It doesn't bother me at all to put a boot print in the door of that big buick.

top topics

join