It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canadian Gov pondering $3-billion Kyoto investment by 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
An informed source in the Canadian Government has leaked that the Prime Ministers Office has drawn up a plan that would enable Canada to achieve it's commitments to the Kyoto accord by 2012. Some measures included are tax breaks for co-generation and rebates to purchasers of fuel-efficient vehicles. This plan would bring the total investment to Kyoto by Ottawa to $6.7 billion.

www.canada.com
The biggest new item would be a $1-billion fund to buy 100 megatonnes of emissions reductions.

The approach would be similar to that used in standard government purchasing: the government would invite emissions-cutting proposals and "buy" those deemed most cost-effective.

Proposals could come from the private or public sector. For example, provincial governments could get money to build concrete rather than asphalt highways because cars use less fuel on concrete.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's nice to see the government is finally coming up with a plan to deal with our commitment. While it does seem like a lot of money, at least it is going to something I feel is worthwhile. I am pleased to note that the money will be remaining in Canada, instead of being used to purchase 'credits'. Industry needs to be encouraged to help meet these goals, not forced.

On a personal note, I welcome this as I work for an independent 'green' power producer, and this will have a positive impact for us, I believe.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

join