It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush to Seek $80B for Iraq, Afghan Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
In a move that would put the cost of the war to date in Afghanistan and Iraq to over $280 billion, the Bush Administration is set to ask for another $80 billion in funding. The amount spent so far is nearly half in inflation adjusted dollars that the U.S. spent in World War I.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration plans to announce Tuesday it will request about $80 billion more for this year's costs of fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, congressional aides said Monday.

The request would push the total provided so far for those wars and for U.S. efforts against terrorism elsewhere in the world to more than $280 billion since the first money was provided shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, airliner attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

That would be nearly half the $613 billion the United States spent for World War I or the $623 billion it expended for the Vietnam War, when the costs of those conflicts are translated into 2005 dollars.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Lots of money. House Democrats have indicated that there will not be a fight for the funds, but they will ask some pointed question about the war, its duration, and an accounting for the money spent. Which seems reasonable to me. However, we are in to far to pull out and really must see things through to the end at this stage. We face a tough year ahead, but once the elections are over and we get a better handle on the insurgency, we can start looking at a timetable to pull most of our troops out.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
...and what will the additional cost of a war in Iran be ? OR are is the current request to get "reprogrammed" rumsfeld style to do iran?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There will be no war in Iran, not the same "shock and awe" that was showcased in Iraq.

Iraq is a complete failure, why anyone would be stupid enough to try again against a state that can defend itself is beyond reasoning. I think that all the talk about Iran is just that, talk.

new topics

join