It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween and Star Wars 1977

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
In 1977 I took my three year old son and sat in the second row of our local theater to see Star Wars. We were both blown away. I loved it all. He loved Darth Vader.
That year, no one knew just how big the franchise would become, and apparently no one knew that children would want to go out that fall as Star Wars charactors.
Sean, wanted to be Darth Vader. But there were no costumes on the market. In our family tradition, I did my best to help him to do so.
I got ahold of an old metal army helmut, stuffed the insides so it would fit his head, and then painted it black.
Next, we found a black pair of old jeans and black boots. Simple.
Then we took an old kitchen curtain and died it black.
Then I went to an army surplus store and for three bucks, found an nice black double filtered gas mask.
Put them all together and he was the only Darth Vader in town and a thrill to all who saw him. Gee, I wish I still had that picture.

Drum roll........

I just heard on the news that this year, Americans have spent over $7,000,000,000, yes, BILLION on Halloween costumes.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Im calling shenanigans on this one.
7 billion divide by 300 million people is 23 bucks each
I doubt even half of Americans bought a costume.
Maybe that number is how much people have spent on Halloween decorations and costumes.

Anywho, I remember going to Star Wars with my three brothers. I was six.
Hooked me.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22Maybe that number is how much people have spent on Halloween decorations and costumes.

Very possibly so.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Here's a good one from 2014. $350,000,000 spent on costumes,,,,, for pets
www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Man that's depressing.lol

That says 30 percent is spent on candy too. That makes more sense.
Fricken chocolate is expensive now.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I remember that year well.

Just about every girl was dressed up as Leia and every boy was dressed up as Skywalker or Vader.... and it was that way for a few halloweens in a row, even more so the following year.

My friend Margo had the perfect Leia hair, her mom painted a couple of kaiser burger buns black and attached them to the sides of her head, and a long white "ABBA" disco dress. Most costumes back then were homemade.

My brother and I wear dressed up as KISS members... him as Simmons' demon and me as Stanley's starchild... we were both huge KISS fans at that time.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
In 1977 I took my three year old son and sat in the second row of our local theater to see Star Wars. We were both blown away. I loved it all. He loved Darth Vader.
That year, no one knew just how big the franchise would become, and apparently no one knew that children would want to go out that fall as Star Wars charactors.
Sean, wanted to be Darth Vader. But there were no costumes on the market. In our family tradition, I did my best to help him to do so.
I got ahold of an old metal army helmut, stuffed the insides so it would fit his head, and then painted it black.
Next, we found a black pair of old jeans and black boots. Simple.
Then we took an old kitchen curtain and died it black.
Then I went to an army surplus store and for three bucks, found an nice black double filtered gas mask.
Put them all together and he was the only Darth Vader in town and a thrill to all who saw him. Gee, I wish I still had that picture.

Drum roll........

I just heard on the news that this year, Americans have spent over $7,000,000,000, yes, BILLION on Halloween costumes.

Damn you're old

Two thumbs up for being an awesome dad! Many of us would have been happy to have a dad that dedicated to making us happy.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What a cool dad you were

I remember my 1993 Halloween night (was 7), I couldn't decide if i wanted to be a zombie or a vampire, so become both and it was awesome for the time, a year after everyone in my area was part one thing/another looked weird but very interesting with costume ideas.

new topics

top topics

join