It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Flying Stingrays!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I came across this video on Facebook by accident and I gotta say that there's something entrancing, elegant, and beautiful about it. I had no idea that Rays jumped out the water and flapped their "wings" like birds!

It's like witnessing the power of nature and evolution of a species all rolled into one...! I'm speechless........what says ATS?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 29-10-2016 by lostbook because: word edit

edit on 29-10-2016 by lostbook because: edit

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Evolution, huh. More like jumping.

Wait, did that one have feathers?

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Just imagine If left be for a few hundred thousand years I bet they eventually take off!.
You are right amazing that....I feel bad for butchering so many of them now as a past fishmonger.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Pretty awesome and interesting, thank you for posting, friend.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Some day sweet Stingray you will fly out of that ocean as a rocket..
Some day.. you will fly across the sky and eat all the birds you like
Some day..

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I've never seen that either. Interesting video.
Here is one theory that seems reasonable.

There is also the opinion that these rays could possibly be breaching by complete accident. Devil rays are incredibly fast, as they have no other form of defense other than their speed and agility. They can manipulate their bodies in the water with ease to both escape predators and catch a meal. If they are travelling at a rapid speed near the surface and don’t realise they are going to breach, the slight movements they make underwater could explain their acrobatic flips that are made when they jump from the water.

Costa Rica

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes they are evolving little jet engines for their power to weight ratio
Evolve little devil rays, evolve
I wonder where they will get the jet fuel from

Interesting clip, silly comment

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
That's cool. I never knew of them doing that.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Evolution, huh. More like jumping.

Wait, did that one have feathers?

Yes it is a jump, but it is interesting that the instinct doesn't allow that they should stop the swimming motion even as they are out of the water, although they might 'wave' a bit faster should they have been out of the water longer without forward motion.
Did anyone see the Carp jumping in that same link? The leap is the same thing, except its the body that continues to wave.

edit on 29-10-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yes it is a jump, but it is interesting that the instinct doesn't allow that they should stop the swimming motion even as they are out of the water, although they might 'wave' a bit faster should they have been out of the water longer without forward motion.

Yah, fish flop when they're out of water. Birds flap when they land in water, too. The fish eagle, for instance.

The rays 'wing' surfaces are for slipping through much denser water, they provide zero lift in air. The fish eagle cant swim, his wings are pretty useless as fins.

edit on 29-10-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Mice have jet-engines too, according to recent studies- they use them to sing.ARTICLE

Using ultra-high-speed video of 100,000 frames per second the researchers showed that the vocal folds remain completely still while ultrasound was coming from the mouse's larynx. "This mechanism is known only to produce sound in supersonic flow applications, such as vertical takeoff and landing with jet engines, or high-speed subsonic flows, such as jets for rapid cooling of electrical components and turbines," said Dr Anurag Agarwal, study co-author and head of the Aero-acoustics laboratories at Cambridge's Department of Engineering. "Mice seem to be doing something very complicated and clever to make ultrasound."

edit on 10292016 by seattlerat because: added video

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
And nobody has asked yet, "Why is this in the Crypto Forum?"

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter
And nobody has asked yet, "Why is this in the Crypto Forum?"

I know....I know. I just wasn't sure what forum to put it in...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Puppylove requested an animal specific forum, but there wasn't a huge response... I think pets or fragile earth are the only real places to post stuff regarding animals, unfortunately. Here is the thread regarding that request:
ATS Animal Forum

top topics

join