It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VOTE: Democrat Congresswomans Son, 4 Others Charged With Slashing GOP Van Tires On Election Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The son of a newly elected congresswoman and others have been charged in the election day vandalism spree that saw the tires on 25 van used by the Republican party slashed. The vans had been rented in an get out the vote effort. Witnesses stated that the group dressed up in "Mission Impossible" gear left the Democratic Party headquarters at 3 Am and returned excited and talking about the damage.

sfgate.com
The sons of a first-term congresswoman and Milwaukee's former acting mayor were among five Democratic activists charged Monday with slashing the tires of vans rented by Republicans to drive voters and monitors to the polls on Election Day.

Sowande Omokunde, son of Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., and Michael Pratt, the son of former Milwaukee acting mayor Marvin Pratt, were among those charged with criminal damage to property, a felony that carries a maximum punishment of 31/2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The activists are accused of flattening the tires on 25 vehicles rented by the state Republican Party to get out the vote and deliver poll watchers Nov. 2.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The five were payed employees of the Kerry campaign. But it seems reasonable that this was thier own action and not that of a concerted effort on the Kerry campaign. It is interesting the District Attorney, a Democrat, has taken two months to bring the charges, but we will see if they are actually convicted.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This was the action of a couple of nuts-no reflection on Kerry or Democrats at all

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, its bull#, what they did, but it happens all the time amoung all the parties. Nothing to do but prosecute the ones that get caught doing it.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I believe that I stated that in my commentary. However, this seems to be a new tactic as there were reports of similar GOP vandalism at the Inaguration as well.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, when I originally posted this story (how did it become FredT's?), I ended my comments with the line:

Democrats accuse - but look who gets caught ...

[edit on 1/24/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
This was the action of a couple of nuts-no reflection on Kerry or Democrats at all

Oh my my!!! Can you imagine the deafening howls dg would be making if these were Republicans who did this to Democratic operations? I'm sure she'd make it sound like Bush ordered the slashings himself!!! LOL!!!

The truth is Democrats are far more likely to engage is such thuggery...the facts make that clear!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think this one needs a page from the republican playbook since the partisan tempers seem slightly flared

"Get Over It!"

Hes sworn in, they got their wishes, and its a bit late to be bringing up charges, especially by people in the democratic party against others in the party. I wonder what boardroom backstabbing sparked this whole ordeal? I just love the mirror image accusations and remarks from both sides while they claim to be nothing like the opposition.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Djohns,

I'm glad i gave you a good laugh
Lets just say this is so childish even a Republican doing this i would have to defend

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
"Get Over It!"

A good point. Nothing more need be made of it other than it being a crime that shoudl be punished.

Hes sworn in, they got their wishes, and its a bit late to be bringing up charges

As long as no statute of limitations has passed, its allways proper to press charges. This is criminal activity by an elected representative. At the least they should be disbared (they're probably a lawyer no?) and kicked out of office. Republican or democrat.

, especially by people in the democratic party against others in the party.

They destroyed republican property.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The five were payed employees of the Kerry campaign. But it seems reasonable that this was thier own action and not that of a concerted effort on the Kerry campaign. It is interesting the District Attorney, a Democrat, has taken two months to bring the charges, but we will see if they are actually convicted.

[edit on 1/24/05 by FredT]

Fred here is the explanation the DA gave to explain why it took him so long.

McCann said it had taken nearly 12 weeks to assemble charges because potential witnesses had dispersed to the East after the election, leaving his office with two practical options: Convene Milwaukee’s first grand jury in 36 years to subpoena them, or get the FBI to conduct the interviews. The FBI, McCann said, was the cheaper, if slower, option.

McCann said he didn’t get the final FBI report until Jan. 14, possibly because the agency had other priorities. “You’ve got to understand how this looks elsewhere,” McCann said. “It’s a tire-slashing case.”

Source

Nygdan, the vans were not republican property the vans had been rented.

[edit on 1/25/2005 by shots]

[edit on 1/25/2005 by shots]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Nygdan, the vans were not republican property the vans had been rented.

So, what's your point? Since the vans were rented, what the paid democrat party operatives did was OK?

Must also depend on what the meaning of is is ...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

the vans were not republican property the vans had been rented.

Interesting, so do you think that this makes much of a differnce? You had said that the acts were inside the D party, clearly it was not, since the vans, and of course the repblican voters being bused to the voting centers, have nothing to do with the democrats.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

the vans were not republican property the vans had been rented.

Interesting, so do you think that this makes much of a differnce? You had said that the acts were inside the D party, clearly it was not, since the vans, and of course the repblican voters being bused to the voting centers, have nothing to do with the democrats.

I was under the impression you thought the vans were "owned" by the republican party, that is why I answered as I did.

Can you show me where I stated the acts were inside the D party? I believe you have what Fred posted and what I posted mixed up, because I know I did not say any such thing.

join