It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAM Radio Suggestions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have worked a few disasters and I have to say it depends on the area affected . In Hurricane Andrew there was no communications for the average citizen for at least two weeks. However those on the fringes of the disaster had their communications back up sooner and when they put up the portable Cell towers it was wonderful. For those in the thick of the disaster they had no idea if the world had come to an end and they were alone for about two weeks to fend for themselves as we worked our way in. Yes we could fly and spot pick people out but that didn't help everybody. The Hurricane was like a massive tornado and it cut a path of destruction inland but we still had infrastructure to the North, West and some to the east which could help support recovery efforts. Now lets say we have a regional disaster like California shaking off to the ocean, the needs will be astronomical, there will be no quick response and the states surrounding California will not only be dealing with their own problems but they would not be able to absorb the numbers needing help. So unlike Hurricane Andrew, their will not be an army of workers ready to put the lines back up and restore power. The Cell towers will be useless and the portable ones will probably come from the edges of the disaster area in but that will not happen quickly. So, no power, no phone, no water, limited food and medical needs beyond their capacity......this disaster will take years not weeks or months. You will want to know whats happening, and what to expect.
As far as satellite phones.......during Haiti the satellites in space were tied up so bad for a long time they couldn't make a calls out or get one in and again HAM radio operators from UTAH to Florida. became the only source of communications.
Ham Radio...needs a car battery, radio and wire...your on the air.....I even ran one up a flag pole and it worked just fine. Anyway...it's still a good idea and these days it is easier then ever to get a radio and a license. You can do the studying online at QRZ .com

a reply to: SohTyTe

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blindmancc

As far as satellite phones.......during Haiti the satellites in space were tied up so bad for a long time they couldn't make a calls out or get one in and again HAM radio operators from UTAH to Florida. became the only source of communications.

a reply to: SohTyTe

Thank you for the info, great to know. Best to keep it simple and HAM ..... K.I.S.H.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well, seems like no real consensus on antennas, lol. I'm thinking a full wave dipole for 20 meters ( found about 30' of 14AWG 3 wire romex in the garage. I think I can trim enough to get to at least 1.5 SWR on 20 meters. With a tuner, I could use the same on 40. I'm almost always SSB at the moment since I really struggle with CW at above about 3 wpm. I should be able to string it about 30' agl. Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LetsGoViking

Speaking of antennas, found this video of an a microwave antenna that had stopped functioning due to being filled with acorns by a woodpecker (ignore the title stating that it was a squirrel, squirrels are much smarter than that and would never risk losing their supply by storing in such a risky location). I do feel sorry for the creature that did all that work only to have it dumped on the ground.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
never trust an old smelly ham. It might be rotten to the core. remember Terminans

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I finally took the technician's exam last month but haven't yet purchased another radio. I have been trying to research what would be the most versatile unit for my purposes, but doubt that I can afford the most full-featured transceivers out there.

I have noticed that there are conflicting reviews regarding Chinese vs Japanese equipment- some HAMs give some of the Chinese radios great reviews and explain how a number of them have more/better features than similar Japanese devices. Other HAMs give scathing reviews of the Chinese "Kock-Offs" and call them "JUNK".

I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't last me a few years (at least).
Ideally, I would like to get into packet radio, would probably prefer to start out with a mobile unit and power supply so I can use it as a base station.

I'm currently studying for the general exam, will have some extra money next month, and my budget will be somewhere around $500. I'm OK with buying a power supply at a later date.

Units I have been considering (all of them mobile except for Alinco): TYT TH-9800 Plus
Alin co DX-SR9T
Ke nwood TM-D710GA
BTECH UV-50X3
There are so many different options- I want as much radio as I can afford... I would prefer to purchase new with manufacturer's warranty, but I would also consider a used device if it is pristine. Airband reception would be of particular interest to me, too. If anybody has any suggestions please send them my way! I thank you in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join