It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two trials in Charleston, no news coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There are two trials going on in Charleston.
One is Dylann Roof, the young man who is charged with shooting several black people in a Charleston church. The other is for Michael Slager, charged with murder for killing Walter Scott.
Both these cases were hot items in the news at the time they happened. The Roof shooting was practically 24/7 for days. The Scott killing held the media's attention until Slager was charged. I've not seen one national news story about these trials. Not even a whisper. Maybe it's because I took a ten day vacation and cut all media out of my life. I know about these trials simply because I took my vacation in Charleston and learned they were going on when I saw the massive police presence around the federal courthouse where the Roof trial was beginning with jury selection.
A Google search turns up this link as the most recent about the Roof trial.
abcnews4.com...
It is from Sept. 23---long before Matthew roared through. But it was still going on, at least the security was still there, on October 4. I can't find any updates as to what has happened since that date.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — Nearly 300 people advanced to take a case-specific questionnaire in the Dylann Roof federal hate crimes trial on Monday after four separate hearings saw few dismissals and only a handful of no-shows.

Apparently this trial won't actually be held until after Thanksgiving.

With nearly 300 people advancing to the next stage of jury selection, it's possible the process could end -- when the jury pool reaches 700 -- by Wednesday morning.

Gergel also spelled out details on the schedule, giving many people a sure sign that they would be able to enjoy the holiday season. He said although final jury seating begins on Nov. 7, arguments would not begin until after Thanksgiving.

Why on earth would they have to drag this out so long? They have an eye witness or two to the shooting. The security around those building is costing the taxpayers thousands of dollars a day, not to mention the army of lawyers and "experts" hired by the government to prosecute this case.

The Slager case is getting more coverage apparently. Here's a link to an update filed today.

www.postandcourier.com... l

Deception, secrecy, lies. And videotape.

Those are fast becoming prominent themes in the shooting death of Walter Scott — from the initial questioning of the North Charleston patrolman who killed him, to last-minute scientific testing in the case that has prompted broad pledges of transparency, to the very courtroom where those topics were discussed Friday on the eve of a murder trial that will shift the nation's eyes to Charleston.

Circuit Judge Clifton Newman, who is presiding over former police officer Michael Slager's case, ejected most of the public from a portion of Friday's proceeding when prosecutors were expected to testify about whether state agents used deception to get an interview with the lawman. Newman did not give a reason for closing the courtroom and allowed certain people who were not attorneys on the case, including Scott's family and investigators, to stay.

But not a peep from mainstream media....how very interesting. Secret testimony. Do only cops get to have trials with secret testimony? I'm honestly curious about that.

Any thoughts on why we haven't been kept updated by the media that was foaming at the mouth over these two killings while the blood was wet?
Anyone else have links of coverage to provide us with more info?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Fox news on Slager

Both seem to be in pre trial motion and/or jury choice phases.

edit on 22-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
the media is almost 24/7 election now. no time for yesterday's news.

don't understand why these things take so long. justice system is messed up.
I hear complaints about lack of judges cuz governor/president won't appoint or tangles wi legislatures.

it's the world we live in.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Pre trial motions always take a back seat unless evidence is tossed or a charge is dropped. Secondly its a contentious election.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's the Donald Trump show on now. 24/7 every network, all radio and ATS as well.

Bread and Circus, eh....

top topics

join