It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine-gun robots to wage war against Iraqi insurgents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
'Robot soldiers' bound for Iraq

Here are some cool features the robot infidel offers:

-Can be fitted with standard-issue M249 or M240 rifle
-Has four cameras, night-vision and zoom lenses
-Can travel over rocks and barbed wire
-Batteries run for up to 4 hours at a time
-Remote control unit has two joysticks and video screen
-Costs $200,000 (£106,757) per unit
-Pours a flawless draft beer on tap

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I saw this earlier but had second thoughts about posting it. But what the heck. Better than losing US troops....................
I like the armed UAV's too.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Man, I cant find anything on it right now, but I have seen one about the size of a briefcase. You throw it over a wall or into a building, and no matter how it lands you cant hurt it and it can drive away regardless of what side is facing up. It was amazing. No guns on it, but all the sensors you could handle. Cheap in comparison too.

I love this sort of thing. I don’t know if these things are worth anything other than recon yet, but the day will come when they will be side by side with a soldier handling a gun.

Ill tell you what, I am a 34 year old out of shape guy who couldn’t come anywhere near passing a military physical. But the moment the US government needs a few FPS champs to r0x0rz some newbs with an automated mech I’m their man.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hell, turn some teenage HALO 2 players loose on the controls and the insurgents are done in about 2 days... (of course, so would any civilians in the way)...

I guess I have to read more on this....is it a robot, or a remote control... I'd hope for the latter, as I wouldn't trust AI to distinguish combatant from innocent... Hell, HUMAN soldiers often have that difficulty.....

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wow, cool stuff. Looks like a snowblower on steroids!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Neat. I hope they put a self-destruct feature on it. If the insurgents capture one, BOOM!!!! Our own suicide bombers.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
"Mr Quinn says there are plans to replace the computer screen, joysticks and keypad in the remote-control unit with a Gameboy-style controller and virtual-reality goggles."

Im telling you, Im their man, I have been in training for years and I didnt even know it!! Once they make one that can jump and strafe I will rule the planet, MUHAHAHAHAHA!....um....I will be an effective soldier I mean.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Here's another article on them (from about a month ago)

www.wired.com...

Good stuff

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Hell, turn some teenage HALO 2 players loose on the controls and the insurgents are done in about 2 days... (of course, so would any civilians in the way)...

i knew playing computer games for hours and hours would have a purpose

I'm happy that 'weapons' are progressing towards machines as it will save lives in the short and long term.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Please discuss further in this already existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join