It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do TV-series share too many varied details - how independent production houses actually are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You might have noticed that episodes of currently aired tv-series contain lots of objects, spoken sentences, gestures, phenomena, color choices, hair styles etc., which are varied between different tv-series run on a certain day. It is like different production houses gathered their writers, stylists, producers etc. to a same room - possibly virtually - and discussed about how to fit the tv-series together. Almost like there really wouldn't be individual production houses, when everything is done by consulting other production houses. Or am I exaggerating?

One reason behind an idea to use similar e.g. glow or spoken sentence is that while viewing an episode of one tv-serie, an episode of another tv-series will come to mind by association, but that's not the reason in full. When one's mind notices that there's a connection between different tv-series, it will also notice more subtle similarities and that strenghtens the possibility that both of the episodes run on a same day will be remembered better. And isn't that what tv-series need to survive?

In my opinion the amount of shared details is becoming ridiculous and it has began to hurt watching experience. And it hasn't been just something simple for a long time as whole characters appearing in multiple episodes are syncronized between what appears in other tv-series. That means something gets left out, because something must be included for the sake of cooperation. I wonder what fans of tv-series might think about this?

And here's a question exclusively to the Above Top Secret -community: does Goldman Sachs has something to do with this?

edit on 20-10-2016 by smarko because: typo

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smarko

I think it just has to do with a lack of imagination.

After some point, some things are bound to start looking like one another. What's left, once you've done every possibility, except repetition?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I produced 25 commercials in the late 70's and 80's including one for Pepsi...and all directors, producers, writers and production facilities and corporations take away from others if the idea is good. That IS rampant in the industry.

What works for one is snatched by the other, and it can be coincidental, and yes sometimes similar. What works, works. The competition is high in the television and commercial industries.

Look at the food commercials for McDonalds and Wendys, Burger KIng whatever...one comes up with a "new" menu item or special...a couple weeks later? The others follow....sometimes nearly identical, commercial breaks, themes, specials and music and $1 menu items!

The industry uses what works and hopes youre not paying attention of how close things are to other products, shows, spots, specials and situations. Secrecy is the rule in production...but once out there...its fair game.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm not willing to discuss about how commercials fit to this subject as they are produced very differently. This is supposed to be about if and/or why tv-series feel like it probably can not be a coincidence that certain similarities appear on a same day. Almost like it was planned to be so a long time ago (years perhaps).

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
They don't call it "programming" for nothing.

The worst are the morning shows - Today, GMA and whatever the hell CBS coughs up. It's practically the same damn show, just varied in the level of sophistication with which it's presented.

It's actually diabolical, really. If you watch it.

Add to that the sheer amount of resources and waste that goes into it all. A cooking segment for instance. Or some fluff piece on Halloween decorations.

It's kind of sick actually.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Well...they are not in collusion with one another years in advance if that what youre thinking. The comparative relationship to similarities are widespread and not decided by backdoor management production facilities meetings with different competing houses to produce them as such. They know their new formats will become the competitors as soon as its aired.

Look at the turnover of execs, producers, writers......Quickly and often. And as CosmicJack stated above. Thats why its called "programming". And his example of all of the morning shows being duplicates of each other is a pretty good comparison.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Maybe I should add that I mean channels and networks like AMC (owned by AMC Networks), The CW (parents companies: CBS and Warner Bros), A&E (owned partially by Disney--ABC Television group) and Syfy (owned by NBCUniversal Cable and USA Network as a sister channel).

Wouldn't it be correct to assume that their scheduling of programs should be independent from others? My claim seems to be that it isn't. And not because a network decided they want to air an episode at the same evening than their competitor is airing an episode of some tv-serie, but because the episodes were originally created to be aired on the same day.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I dont think that they are intentionally created ala conspiracy to be aired on the same day...but insider info on whats being developed is widespread. Maybe it is intentional. Ive wondered that myself...

There are for sure spies within the industry, but Im pretty sure there's no real collaboration on similar or nearly identical shows planned to be aired at the same or around the same times. It sure looks like it at time, I agree with you.

But the millions of $$ spent in productions costs...even per episodes or per film on the networks you mention or others...would be dumped when all are pretty much the same shows, different angles, nearly same plotlines...though it is highly coincidental.

But, I do share the idea that these sure popup identical at nearly the same time...all the time. The entire television, music, book and even car industries are rampant with look alikes and strikingly similar releases.

It pause one to think what you suggest may be true...

Thanks

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

You're right. The production teams get an idea pitched and then seek to mould it according the broadest target audience base. The scriptwriters consciously and subconsciously plunder ideas from everything they've seen or enjoyed.

I watch a lot of comedies. 8 Simple Rules, Friends, My Wife and Kids, Big Bang Theory, Rules of Engagement etc have all stolen ideas directly from each other. When they find a situation that has an emotional quality, they don't bother to repackage it; they have the other cast go and repeat it.

For someone like me, it breaks that 'fourth wall' and turns it all into a set, with actors and a room full of scriptwriters. I've gone from chuckling to thinking about the particular writer who got away with it. Then I'm wondering if the other writers knew or cared? It sets me off thinking about the formulas and jokes per minute instead of going with the flow.

It's worse with drama TV shows. If a clumsy cliché shows up early in the series I cannot watch it and it makes me an asshole to watch TV with. On the other hand, new spins on old stories don't bother me at all as long as they're fresh and have a sparkle.

On a broader level, where will writers go for ideas in the future? It's as if ideas are finite and there might come a day when nearly everything people watch will be reboots of stuff the current generations haven't seen.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
similar or nearly identical shows planned to be aired at the same or around the same times

I'm going to have shoot this down as my post wasn't about tv-series being similar or almost identical.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
insider info on whats being developed is widespread. Maybe it is intentional.

To this I could agree.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you can, please also ponder what I said about how it affects a viewer, when he is consciously aware that he is currently watching an episode of a tv-serie, but has also recalled what happened or what appeared in an episode of another tv-serie. Compare this to how humans tend to learn or memorize something better.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A great example of this is the push by ABC last year to support the Transsexual community. They had multiple shows addressing the topic to some degree, on various channels, all in the same year as Caitlyn Jenner, who they got the scoop interview with. It was clearly a coordinated effort, aside from what anyone thinks about the issue itself.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Possibly overstated and possibly wrong. That might be just another example for a claim that when there is a need to broaden public awareness of something, hints and actual footage gets spread in a business-wise sense (in your example on ABC's shows). I can't be sure if you mean actual tv-series, which would be prepared atleast months in advance or tv-shows, which are produced maybe just a week or day before something or if they are broadcast live.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Understood. Thats fine....

top topics

join