It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell Hilda , Jean Alexander dies aged 90

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Jean Alexander was a staple of British TV with a career that spanned the decades between 1962 to 2010 , most notably as the long standing Coronation Street character Hilda Ogden who she played for 23 years , in those years Hilda became an iconic and much loved British soap character largely due to the acting talents of Jean Alexander who made her a believable and endearing character.

In 1984, hundreds of fans sent her condolence cards after the death of her on-screen husband Stan Ogden, played by Bernard Youens, who had died shortly before his character was killed off.
In 1985 she received the Royal Television Society Award for her performance on Coronation Street. When she decided to leave the programme in 1987, fans started "Save Hilda!" campaigns; however, many did not realise that she had made her own decision to depart. Her final scenes in the programme were aired on 25 December 1987, attracting nearly 27 million viewers
en.wikipedia.org...

RiP Jean.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm sure they based Hilda on my Nan we used to joke "me nans on telly again" golden age of the street when she was on such a fun comedic soap.
I'm on my phone but if anyone can find Hilda singing while doing housework lol.
Oh and those ducks

RIP Jean.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Here you go mate , this is the best I could find.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Oh man that brought back memories. "chuck"

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
I don't know why I clicked on the video about Jean Alexanders career that you provided Gortex but I'm glad I did.

Monty Python and the Young Ones were my only forays into British T.V.

The clips immediately showed me that only an actress of her calibre (see, I used the British spelling) could bring a character such as Hilda to such heights every day for 23 years.

RIP Old girl

new topics

top topics

join