It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exotic Space Propulsion Discussed At Space Studies Institute Conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Caught this over on nextbigfuture.com. The conference ran from Sep 20-22, so it looks like it has already concluded. Some exotic propulsion concepts were discussed, including EM Drive and the Mach Effect Thruster. Here's the link:
www.nextbigfuture.com...

From the article:

The Estes Park Advanced Propulsion Workshop, 20-22 September 2016, organized by the Space Studies Institute (SSI), will feature presentations by NASA Eagleworks scientist Paul March and Prof. Martin Tajmar, chair for Space Systems at the Dresden University of Technology, who last year presented an independent confirmation of the anomalous EmDrive thrust.

Other notable participants include Prof. James Woodward and Prof. Heidi Fearn, both from California State University, Fullerton, and Prof. David Hyland from Texas A and M University.

The 3-day conference will address at most 6 concepts for a breakthrough in propulsion. They are devoting a half-day per concept. The half-day is broken into theory and experiment sessions for the concept. The concept will be investigated on both grounds, with substantial give-and-take between the audience and the concept presenter, verbally and on the whiteboard.

The theory session will allow us to understand how the concept departs from existing theory of general relativity or electrodynamics. However, we are willing to entertain concepts with compelling experimental demonstrations for which there is yet no solid theory.

The experiment session will allow us to understand how to experimentally verify the concept, and the mechanism by which it could solve either the fuel or time-distance problems. However, we are willing to entertain concepts with compelling theoretical aspects well-rooted in known physics, for which concrete experiments could be contemplated.

They will moderate a disciplined and respectful interchange, working toward a goal of common understanding, while still “kicking all the tires” of rigorous peer-review.

It was an interesting read. Quite a bit of detail and history given on the EM Drive in this article, so anyone who likes to keep up with EM Drive information would probably like to have a look at it. The article contains a number of links to other sources of information on the topics and the proceedings.

I know there was a bit of a buzz about EM Drive on here a little while back, and I was personally fascinated by the information linked in those discussions. It looks like there's something to that. I've not heard much about the Mach Effect Thruster, just a coast to coast interview with one of the engineers working on it I caught some of a few months back. It's another propellant-less thruster that has shown some promise in experiments. It's interesting material for sure. I think these exotic propulsion systems certainly have the potential to revolutionize space travel, and I'm excited to see what developments will come from these designs.

What do you think?
edit on 24-9-2016 by TheBadCabbie because: edit

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The problem with propelling yourself by throwing stuff out of the back is that you have to carry a lot of stuff to throw out of the back.

This would be great as you do not have to carry a lot of stuff.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

They obviously need to find "The Spice Melange" and work out how to fold space.

On a more serious note the EM drive and other reactionless drive concepts are obviously the way to proceed regarding any future space travel endeavors humanity decides to consider.

The Ion engine, if refined and made somewhat more efficient, could actually offer us the means to cruise our own system at leisure, making colonization a viable prospect a few 100 years down the line.
edit on 25-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

That's right nOraKat, if these propellant-less propulsion systems can be developed to produce enough thrust, range per ship size can be increased significantly. You wouldn't have to carry tons of propellant around to produce thrust. You would just have to power your device. A nuclear power plant could do it, perhaps there are other better ways as well that are kept secret for whatever reason.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I agree except for the few hundred years or so part. It shouldn't take us that long...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Noteworthy, from the OP article, at the end:

The other EMdrive experiment status

- Shawyer experiments in ambient air (as well as newer superconducting designs) are now kept under a shroud of secrecy.

- Chinese mid-to-high power experimental results (~ 2000 W) in ambient air are on the contrary regularly published in academic journals, but are still uncertain because Pr. Juan Yang is not able to share additional data, and spurious causes like air currents are not ruled-out.

www.nextbigfuture.com...
edit on 13-10-2016 by TheBadCabbie because: add link

top topics

join