It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind controlled drone racing!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Good day to all.
Watching discovery channel tonight, a segment aired that boggeled my mind.
The first ever mind controlled drone race has taken place. Yes mind controlled.
By wearing a simple and relatively cheap headset that reads your brain waves, engineering students were able to calibrate their drones to receive brain wave controlled commands.

www.eng.ufl.edu...

Now this really interests me. I own a drone company. My primary target demographic is mining and exploration companies. I am focused on improving the safety of daily tasks in mining.

I have lost a few friends due to accidents underground. Mining is like a brotherhood. You feel it everytime, when its announced that someone at another mine site needlessly got killed or injured during their shift. Everyone of us gets that feeling, it could have just as easily been me.

Everytime i leave my home for my shift i make sure i hug and say i love you to my wife and children.
I have been asked to do things underground that i knew were wrong and unsafe. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Those wrong things - shortcuts- can change your life in an instant, or end it.

These mind controllers - for lack of better word, can help change the face of safety underground.
my brain was overwhelmed by all the possible uses for these controllers.

Please keep in mind that this is in a very early stage of development. But like anything else i bet we can expect it to improve exponentially in the next year or 2. Going from basic commands such as start and fly forward, to commands such as "monitor level 20 for air quality." Or "check on worker XYZ"

This is very exciting for my line of work.

Side note - A very special thanks to a certain ATS member... ahem Martin 😄.
I have been Introduced to a very important man and pioneer in the constantly evolving drone industry .
A genius for lack of better word. Someone whom has the same vision as I for safe mining.

Long story short, Him and I are working towards a drone that can essentially monitor, report,and act on, the ever changing environment of the underground work place.
Not only by preventing accidents, but eliminating the worker from the hazard. And no - not taking away jobs.

If anyone from ATS is in Canada and in the Sudbury area. Come to the CIM engineering convention october 17th as i present the next level of, and hopefully soon to be standard practice of safety in the mining industry.

Anyway, either used as a safety device, or simply as a new method of racing or controlling your drone, this is very exciting news.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Up next on the menu, Thought Crime & Minority Report Pre-Crime Convictions :

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
From a brain wave, drone controller?
Brain waves are already being used to control prosthetic limbs.
This is just another use for the soon to be expanding list.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Fantastic Mac, really!

The cutting edge of new technology and it may save lives.

Good job!

Yay @ Jess's Dad!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Drones in Canada...

wait..what?! No!

Ok cool, Drones... you could find bears with drones and help them Mac!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10
Oh i think i have enough bear videos lol

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

lol yeah i guess you do. Send them to chbc news! I actually love bears, they're quite tame apart from the Grizzlies, apart from losing your entire arm if you try feeding them. Ah Tourists!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Fascinating!
I always wondered as a kid growing up, what I would see in the future as each generation sees more inventions. I'm 58 and thought back then we had everything. LOL

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

No Way! you can't be 58! i thought you were like 29!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

There are whole countries of mind controlled drones.

Oh, wait, you meant THOSE kind of drones. My bad.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Age kind of sneaks up on you. You wake up one day and think, how the hell did that happen? LOL

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Good Thread Mac! I'm not sure if those would work for Me though. My mind is all over the place, at any given moment!!
It would probably cause the drone to explode, with My Luck!! LMAO!!!

top topics

join