It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover amazing tool-wielding ability of nearly extinct Hawaiian crows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Crows, you either love 'em or hate 'em... According to a Los Angeles Times article, scientists have been documenting "tool-wielding abilities" in a species of Hawaiian Crows (extinct in the wild). Here in Seattle we have large numbers of crows that frequent grocery store and hamburger joint parking lots. I have been amazed by their tenaciousness and ability to manipulate objects using only their beaks and claws. They also have incredible memories and can live up to 20 years. I like and admire them- life in the city is dangerous and challenging for all animals, and crows seem to have a pretty good knack for surviving and adapting to the worst conditions.

From the LA Times:

Hawaiian crows, a species extinct in the wild, have demonstrated a remarkable skill that’s exceptionally rare in the animal kingdom: the ability to use tools. The discovery, described in Nature, means there are now two species of crow that are known to use tools — and there could be more. The other tool-wielding species, the New Caledonian crow found in the South Pacific, is famous for turning sticks into sharp pokers to probe for larvae hidden in trees. “Until our discovery, the New Caledonian crow was a fascinating oddity in the avian world. Everyone was amazed by their tool behavior,” said Christian Rutz, a behavioral ecologist at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland who has studied crows for more than 10 years.

The article goes on to describe how a researcher used Google Image Tools to find images of crows that were visually similar to the New Caledonian variety, and came up with the Hawaiian species. Then it describes their abilities:

The crows were tasked with retrieving a piece of meat from holes drilled into a log. Of the 104 birds tested, 78% of them — including 93% of adults and 47% of the youngsters — spontaneously picked up a stick to reach the hidden food. In most cases, the birds successfully completed their task within one minute. The scientists observed the Hawaiian crows selecting the appropriate tool, replacing unsuitable ones and gathering up extra plant material to make new tools — similar to behaviors seen in New Caledonian crows. To see if the tool-using behavior was not the result of mimicry by the captive birds, the researchers raised seven ‘alala chicks in isolation, where they had no opportunity to learn the behavior from other crows or humans. Eventually, each young ‘alala picked up a stick to search for food. Younger crows were not as dextrous as adults, suggesting the birds require about two years to hone their skills, Rutz said.

Since all of the birds were housed in captivity, it was easy for the scientists to observe and document their behaviors. They do mention that they will never know whether or not these crows would have exhibited these same "skills" in a natural environment. Fortunately for the crows, they may have received a second chance and hopefully will be able to roam the island free again to harass their human neighbors!

In the early 2000s, Hawaiian crows became extinct in the wild, but not before the remaining birds were captured and placed into a captive breeding program. There are currently 131 ‘alala housed at the centers on the islands of Hawaii and Maui. Later this year, some of the crows will be released to restore a wild population on the Big Island.

Here is the SOURCE
Here is a fun article about Seattle crows: Where do Seattle crows go at night?

edit on 9152016 by seattlerat because: mai spilling sugs

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Crows are extremely intelligent.

So are octopuses - they can solve puzzles and navigate through mazes, etc.

Incredible how humans think animals are "stupid" simply because they haven't exploited the world around them and can't communicate like we do.

Many animals are actually smarter than humans. I bet any regular crow off the street is smarter than half of the "idolized" idiot celebrities and superstars

S & F

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I think animals are dumb, but not stupid.
Except my dog. Tucker does some pretty stupid stuff. But then, maybe he's just a comedian.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

There is an old-timer that recognizes me as someone he can rely on for a good meal, and over the past 5 years he has surprised me on numerous occasions when he swoops down from behind me and grazes the top of my head or ear with a wing tip and then lands a few feet away from me. He will sometimes disappear for months at a time and I wonder if I will see him again, so these visits make me feel like an old friend has returned. Their ability to differentiate between different humans is better than mine!

Here is a story about The girl who gets gifts from crows

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I LOVE ravens and crows! The Common Raven is very "common" here. They are brilliant and fun to watch!

Here's a video of a crow trying to retrieve a small basket from a cylinder with a straight wire. When he realizes it's useless, he figures a way to put a hook in the end of the wire to pick up the basket.

And... A crow understands water displacement...

edit on 9/15/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Except my dog. Tucker does some pretty stupid stuff. But then, maybe he's just a comedian.

Had both Dog's and Cat's, Good Dog's really are a little boy's best friend and look how expertly cat's domesticate human's and have them running around doing chore's for them, feeding them and even playing with them when they want the human to do so, something the Dog's have yet to learn.

Bird's are indeed very clever and as other's have pointed out here the Crow family are exceptionally so but then on a serious note they have to contend with a lot of predator's including domesticated cat's and indeed other bird's, Crow's can also be predatory to smaller bird's if the opportunity arises and are a jack of all trade's in the bird world.
Personally I prefer black bird's, not as clever by a far way's but each has a unique personality, we had a family that nested at the bottom of the garden and had to keep the cat in until the chick's had flown the nest but sadly there are a lot of irresponsible pet owner's out there and in England were I am many once common bird species are now endangered or have seen vast reduction's in there numbers of the past thirty years but that is mostly down to changed in agricultural methodology.

Crow's though, they are still common here but it is sad that this particular species which was native to Hawaii is now extinct in the wild, sad but not uncommon these day's and at least there is a potential breeding stock in captivity so there is a possibility of a reintroduction, on Hawaii though as in other places the introduction of non native species such as the domestic cat and of course the rat has had a devistating effect upon native species.
edit on 15-9-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

that is very cool !

you got the same video twice tho. I want to see the water one....

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay
you got the same video twice tho. I want to see the water one....

Thanks. Fixed. You should see the entire show that I saw that on. All about ravens and crows. Let me see if I can find it.

I can only find it on pay-to-view sites, but it's called "Everything You Didn't Know about Animals - Pigs, Wolves and Crows" on National Geographic channel. I highly recommend it. The show goes into how the ...

US Military Planned to Use "Spy Crows" to Find Osama Bin Laden
edit on 9/15/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Something I have seen frequently in Springtime when crows are protecting their nests has been 1 or 2 of them "dog-fighting" eagles and hawks. The prey-birds don't seem to fight back for some reason, and it is quite a sight to watch as the crows, less than half the size of the predators, whirl, swoop, dive, and pummel trying to drive their opponents away from nesting trees. Here is a wild article from National Geographic with pictures of a crow RIDING AN EAGLE!!! LINK

These look like legitimate photos, but I wasn't there so can't be certain. National Geographic has some excellent photographers submitting images for them including: PHOO CHAN, MEDIA DRUM WORLD who I must give credit to for capturing this fantastic event.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thank you !
This thread is inspiring me to feed my crows.... I have a few that hang around my farm, for whatever reason their presence makes my little conure parrots very nervous.

When I worked in the corporate world many moons ago my desk was near a window that overlooked the outside lounge area. like where people could smoke and eat and stuff. everyday, there were crows that would come pick the trash cans. they were the kinds of cans with lids and swinging doors. 1 crow would hold the door open while another would dive in. fascinating to watch.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Some dogs do stupid things intentionally, I have one dog that if you're paying attention to him he'll walk into stuff and then look at you like "it hurts! Pet me and make it better" if he knows you're not paying attention, he NEVER runs into things but as soon as you play with his brother he's the clumsiest dog in the world.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Corvus is no dummy for sure

edit on 15-9-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join