It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare 3,300 year-old secret passage, first Hittite skeleton found in central Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Rare 3,300 year-old secret passage, first Hittite skeleton found in central Turkey
(dailysabah.com)

A 3,300-year-old secret passage and a skeleton belonging to the Hittite period have been found during archeological excavations in Alacahöyük archeological site in central Anatolian province of Çorum, Turkey. The findings were compiled in a documentary entitled "Following the footsteps of history," shedding light on the lives of ancient peoples.

The discovery of the skeleton could have significant implications for historians, as it marks the first time a Hittite-era skeleton is found and could break new ground.

This is a pretty large site, near where the ancient Hittite capital Hattusa was located, it was an important city in pre-Hittite times. It is home to numerous royal palaces, tombs, defensive structures and interesting features like the Sphinx Gate. Occupation of the site dates back to the Neolithic. I was surprised to learn this is the first time a Hittite skeleton has been discovered, with luck this will help further identify the people.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Posting this vid for some of the pics

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Amazing find? Bible readers will immediately recognize the Hittite people from the Old Testament.

Any chance the skeleton was over 9 feet tall?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Amazing find? Bible readers will immediately recognize the Hittite people from the Old Testament.

If you don't recognise the name without the Bible as a reference, then you aren't smart enough to study history

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Any chance the skeleton was over 9 feet tall?

No, and neither has there ever been any skeleton found that big or anywhere near it, "Giant" tends to be a mistranslation of Tall in the King James version only. the only Giant mentioned in the real Bible, the Hebrew Old testament is Goliath at 6'7

edit on 8-9-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Don't want to come across as rude, but how do they know it was a "Hittite skeleton"? I see no evidence of any dating (in the article) to corroborate the dates.

Also, there's not really much "meat" to see, read, analyse and whatnot. Is there another link with more info?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The same way people assume monkey bones are human bones??a reply to: TerryDon79

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Don't want to come across as rude, but how do they know it was a "Hittite skeleton"? I see no evidence of any dating (in the article) to corroborate the dates. ?

That part of the city dates from 1300BCE
The Hittite period lasted from 1600BCE until around 1200BCE
The secret tunnel is part of the city that dates to 3300 years ago
The dating is a reference to the tunnel, not the skeleton

More details about Alaca Höyük
here

Hittites here if you're playing catchup

originally posted by: TheCretinHop
The same way people assume monkey bones are human bones??a reply to: TerryDon79

Dating is carried out in approved labs, people who can't tell the difference between monkey bones and human bones are creationists who can't see past the book

edit on 8-9-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

So the skeleton might not be Hittite? I mean, it's possible that the skeleton was there after the Hittites, isn't it? Until the skeleton is dated, it's just speculation based on the date of the tunnel itself.

BTW, I'm not trying to take away from the OP, but rather get a better understanding while asking the questions that I feel need asking for my own confirmation.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
King Şuppiluliuma 2nd

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
[Un-needed Personal Attack removed]

I am an atheist and yet find your contempt of the Bible, and even the mere mention of it, completely uncalled for. The poster merely asked a question, perhaps answering politely would inform them.

As a proponent of history, you should see it as an opportunity to drive enthusiasm for a marvelous (largely) forgotten civilization, instead of driving people away. This is huge news.

edit on 8-9-2016 by alien because: ...snipping the personal attack

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

Here is a link to the Hittite civilisation
en.wikipedia.org...
Here is a link to the Biblical Hittites
en.wikipedia.org...

Now you may be wondering, why wiki has two pages for Hittites, rather than just expanding one into the other like they do for EVERYTHING else.
Well the reason that there are two pages for Hittites, is because the Biblical Hittites have nothing to do with the real Hittites
Nothing whatsoever. They are not the same culture, they don't live in the same place and they are not on the same timeline

Now see, if you weren't so quick to announce your ignorance to the forum you might have known that and clearly, anyone announcing "Bible readers will immediately recognize the Hittite people from the Old Testament.", is also pretty ignorant.
But thanks for the insult, I guess unless you've been raped by groups of Christians as a child, you won't share my unique mindset about just how sick, twisted and evil proponents of religion really are
Lucky you...

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
My dear Marduk, words could never adequately express how saddening that is to hear. But you shall receive no sympathy from me so long as you take your anger out on those who have not personally wronged you. But that is neither here nor there.

You have shown that you have a deep well of knowledge on many ancient topics and I cannot help but think of the misguided minds you could sway with the addition of a little politeness. I am aware that the Biblical Hittites were in name only, I have a book on the civilization. Yet you could elucidate far better than I on this topic in which I have limited knowledge. I would be interested in what you have to say, minus the religious critique.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yeah, well you have that wrong too
The reason I am so scornful of ignorance and the posters who display it is nothing to do with religion and is not reserved for religious adherents
If I took your approach and gently told ignorant people why they have it wrong, they would ignore me, I know this from decades of experience
But piss someone off and the first thing they do is go do a little research to prove me wrong, but of course, find out that I am right

I don't care for your sympathy, it wasn't around for the numerous attempts I made on my life during the ages of ten and twenty five and its worth nothing now

I already have elucidated in this thread. Where were you...
All I said was it wasn't smart to confuse the two groups, and you called me a jerk
I wonder which of those insults is worse

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Good post. I love seeing finds like this.

It seems like the area around modern day Turkey is really starting to yield some archeological gems.

Gobekli Tepe for instance was said to be abandoned 12,500 years ago. And that's only when a civilization left! Can you imagine what we'll discover that pre-dates that?

Yet I digress

S & F

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Polite Mod Reminder

Hi People,

Discussion is great.
Passionate discussion is awesome.
Poisonous discussion however - not so much...

Just linking in a post on Expectations of Decorum

...play the ball...not the player...and all that.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: 23432

King Şuppiluliuma 2nd

Some one stole his fork and he looks hungry

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Poor chap lost the keys and did not get out?

new topics

top topics

join