It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMdrive Do or Die Test by July 2018

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
An EM Drive company Cannae Inc claims that by July 2018 it will send a test satellite as a proof of concept of their EMDrive design.

The EMDrive uses microwaves in a closed container to accelerate itself in a specific direction. However, its apparently closed design make it impossible according to generally accepted models of physics. So, its a controversial device. However, it appears to have been replicated by two or three scientifically minded organizations including NASA. There are a number of theories that suggest theories under which the device can function, one of which is that while it appears to be a closed design in fact is not closed. Its also unlikely that the creators understand their invention if it does turn out to work. At least two different inventors claim to have functioning EM Drive type devices.

If it does work, it may be dramatically better than ion thrusters. However, most academic sources, including the ones that made functioning EM Drives them self, do not believe it will achieve substantial thrust. The parties that replicated the device believe their apparent thrust is experimental error.

Personally, I don't understand physics enough to understand why it couldn't work based on the provided logic by the physics experts. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, if you have action in closed container, I would think it must move the container in some direction that isn't nowhere. I guess I'd have the opposite opinion that if you did have motion in a closed container, and no thrust happened in any direction, that would be a violation of my apparently terrible understanding of physics. Of course microwaves offer no motion as they are EM waves, so on that EMdrive in specific I'd agree it does not make sense even in my own flawed understanding of physics.

Source cannae.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

I for one hope the EM drive works and blows the proverbial socks off the naysayers ! If not then "Back to the drawing board" with a big, "shucks" !

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Well if the design is like a dyson fan and has a venturi that acelerates air or in this case space then it may work however icing in an already cold environment is likely if it passes through any ice particles or trails eventually freezing over the venturi that would pull space through it as thrust at least thats the EM sort of drive I see working unless the hole and venturi was large enough in open space to not start a frosting effect to grow on the surface, perhaps a hydrophobic layer of graphene or any heat generation could be bled off to keep the icing from occuring.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Good luck to them, but its a tall order

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

If I am getting the idea correctly what they have there is a Lorenz force thruster supposedly. Pump the microwaves across a magnetic field at a 90 degree angle and supposedly a upward or downward force is generated.

Doesn't look like much force is generated but it is at a 90 degree angle to the magnetic force. And Lorenz force can be used to turn stuff like a motor.

So it looks like you can generate force at a 90 degree angle to a current flowing through a magnetic field. And they are using microwaves as the current.

Or in the picture above force is the blue arrow.
edit on 6-9-2016 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

Sounds like the attempt to create a particle wave that pushes it along like a surfboard

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is tapping into the wormholes between entangled particles and releasing that energy into our dimension. I imagine a working engine will look something like a huge flat screen TV where each pixel is an engine.

Wonder how deeply we will disturb the matrix when we scale this up.

I made every bit of that up.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I imagine if it works what they will do is have dozens or even hundreds of these along one side of the spacecraft. Then a couple of them to use as steering motors.

They may never be able to use these to get a spacecraft off the ground but once in space they will be able to get you from planet to planet. It may take awhile though.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

Even with the latest advancements some of the tech already in space launched not long ago is gaining and will pass voyager within a few years

new topics

top topics

join