It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Jeep CJ guys around? Buying my first CJ-5!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Before I go into too much detail about the questions I have regarding the CJ-5 I'm picking up any day now, I'd like to see if there are any Jeep guys around ATS.

If you wouldn't mind me picking your brain a little bit, please let me know.

What I am getting:

1977 CJ-5
AMC 304 motor, rebuilt less than 1,000 miles ago
T150 trans
Holley 4bbl carb
Front brakes upgraded to discs, rear still drums
Body largely rust free, driver floor pan already replaced, but I'm not thrilled with the patch they did
Frame immaculate
Front driver's side fender needs replaced completely
Exhaust needs work
Has been sitting a few years but started right up, a bit of smoke from the exhaust which cleared up in about 20 seconds

Anyways, if anyone knows this motor, I'd love to get some advice from you. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

It's a decent motor but on rebuilds it honestly boils down to the skill of who did the work and what they consider "rebuilt". Only real issue is oil distribution and rear valves can be burnt if it's run lean. Find out what all was done and if it was modified in any way.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

I've also heard that a 2bbl carb will do me a lot better than the Holley 4bbl. Any truth to that?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Do better what exactly. Are you looking for just a driver or horsepower? reply to: Excallibacca

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

Eventually, it'll be my daily driver. Sorry, it's still early. I'm looking for better MPG.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Unless there are other engine mods done not listed as far as mpg is concerned i doubt you will see a noticeable difference. reply to: Excallibacca

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Just a side note..... If you want more than a 3 speed the t176/dana300 is a 4 speed I believe is a bolt up on that any change would be the shaft. Definitely a solid upgrade for a daily driver. a reply to: Excallibacca

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: drivers1492
Unless there are other engine mods done not listed as far as mpg is concerned i doubt you will see a noticeable difference. reply to: Excallibacca

What would you suggest for MPG then?

6mpg doesn't exactly bother me as I drive 10-15 miles a day most of the time, but getting it closer to 10 would be nice.

As far as I know, not much has been done to it

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm basically thinking a better ignition system. I want to stay away from fuel injection.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I had to go wire a basement I will reply my thoughts when I'm back at the house later. reply to: Excallibacca

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Ignition upgrade is a good idea. You should get 12-14 mpg on that motor not 6. If your getting 6 someone has something wrong in that setup. reply to: Excallibacca

new topics

top topics

join