It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Site locked, download an app?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Weird thing just happened...

I was reading a thread and a black screen with a padlock came up and said site locked. "Support this site by downloading one app."

I didn't have time to screen cap between my confusion and it switching to a list of apps. I quickly closed it out and came back.

Anyone else?

Cookies and history are cleared. I'll update if it happens again.
edit on 21-8-2016 by Doodle19815 because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Try changing your "User agent" (Browser identification string sent to the server). These ads are targeted at certain users. Appear as a "desktop" browser and you should avoid that.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LilFox

That is a little bit over my head.

I'm on an iPad (updates are current) using Safari.

I have learned to click on nothing unless I know what it is, thank goodness. The "pop up" was strange because I was just reading a thread and it came up. Didn't click on anything, and had been on the same page for at least 45 seconds.

I'll see if I can clear anything else on my end. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Your browser has been hijacked. It happened to my ipad as well.

Go to Settings-->Safari-->Clear history and data

Then rest your ipad by holding down the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.

Repeat the steps to clear history and data once more from Safari.

Hopefully this will cure it.

I never click on the ATS ads intentionally. But sometimes you click by accident when trying to scroll.

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It could be an ad served, it could be a few things. Let me guess, was it tapatalk?
More often than not it is just an ad. I switch user agents on my desktop browser randomly and they even try to serve the ads to me.

There are ways to change it without jailbreak but it may be a challenge for those not technically minded. I had a quick look and someone recommended the following replacement browsers which allow user agent switching out of the box.

iCab Mobile ($1.99)
Mercury Web Browser (Free)
Atomic Web Browser ($0.99, plus free Lite version)
Terra (Free)
LastPass (Free)
Sleipnir Mobile (Free)
SkyFire ($2.99 for iPhone, $4.99 for iPad)
User Agent Browser (Free)

Please note, I have no affiliation to any of these apps/developers

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Not speaking officially here....but do you use Malwarebytes or some malware protection??

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieAtTheGap

I never click on the ATS ads intentionally. But sometimes you click by accident when trying to scroll.

Good luck.

I don't get ads on the scrolling of ATS threads. The top I do, but I was halfway down the page. That is why I found it strange.

Will try the reset though. Haven't done that yet. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I was on ATS when it happened and the address bar read ATS. But it happened very quickly so I may have missed an important clue.

I will look into the listed browsers.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I have never needed it before. Apparently I do now.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Regardless of what you're using to browse the interwebs, you really do need all the security you can lay hands on.

You're learning the same way I did...it really does only take once.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I am so tech ignorant it hurts! It's a learning thing for sure. At least I haven't turned over all my bank account info to those people who hijack a computer.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You wouldn't be the first...

I would be perfectly at home with 19th century tech... I can turn computers on, but that's the limit of it unfortunately, and I lack anything even resembling enough interest to learn any more than that...

Not my thing.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Did it again! Got a pic this time. I surf the web... A lot. It is only doing it on ATS. I will try and go through the above processes again.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Ahh yes.

This is malicious code coming through from the advertisers.

Mobtraffic DOES also use malware. It appears to be a _javascript object that remains on the phone and redirects traffic
Source

This is not unheard of. I cannot vouch for the software mentioned in the above link, but in general you do need some kind of browser protection. As I mentioned, sending a different browser id string (plugins make it easy) will cut them off at the ankles, they cant serve the malware to you if they do not know what browser you use.

You are definitely not alone.
edit on 26/8/2016 by LilFox because: Formatting and addition

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Thank you! Your willingness to help and links are much appreciated!

new topics

top topics

join