It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

maybe a stupid question but im curious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Like i said this may be a stupid question however its one ive always wondered about, and as im not real big into astological facts i figured this would be the best forum to ask this in.

Anyway im located in KY and on saturday i was out splitting wood and i looked up and noticed the moon in allmost a high noon position. This was about 2:00 in the afternoon and a thought occured to me , if i can see the moon and i can see the sun just what are the people on the other side of the planet seeing? Im of course familiar with how the days are shorter in the winter so that explains why i have occasionally noticed the moon during the afternoon but it doesnt tell me what the people on the other side of the planet are seeing if im seeing both the moon and sun.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well, I would assume that they see neither the sun nor the moon, since you see them both, the exact opposite side of the planet would be dark and moonless.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
That's a safe conclusion that doesn't require a whole lot of assuming.

This is about a gathering of astronomical facts and not astrological ones isn't it?

I recall meetings of a certain Astronomical Observations Society many years ago. Astronomy was not the subject matter. Rather the purpose was to gather to discuss monumental issues of such great import that they could only be considered astronomical in proportions (i.e. trivia).

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If you like SCi-fi I suggest you read Issac Asimovs novel "Nightfall" Deals with a fictional planet that has multiple stars, and falls into an unheard of night

Btw, in KY at that time I bet you were experiancing high tide

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
this should answer your question

Disappearing Moon

The moon rises and sets , and it is actually in the sky as often during the day as it is at night, it's just usually harder to see in the daylight.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Btw, in KY at that time I bet you were experiancing high tide

No offense but how are geography skills? Im curious as to where in KY you would see any tide other then wakes off of boats.

As to the dissapearing moon article that makes sense to me but one problem is that when i leave to work in the morning i can still see the moon as it finishes its path across the sky , so basically its visible from 2pm until 8:00 am then the sun comes up and the other side of the planet would see the moon as the sun is coming up on our horizon , however for the life of me i cannot remember an early morning nor a late evening where i have not seen the moon yet from the path of the moon and the sun this past weekend it would suggest at times the other side of the earth had no moon nor sun in the sky. Have i just missed the time when this happens here all these years?

new topics

top topics

join