It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making A Heart-breaking Decision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I had to make a very difficult and heart-breaking decision.I am having my boy kitty euthanized tomorrow
at 11:00 a.m. I have tried finding solutions to his problem of peeing on my walls but nothing has worked.
I also failed to mention,on my other thread,I have had problems with my cat hurting me.

A few weeks ago I was spring-cleaning the cats' play room.My boy kitty acted like he was going to attack
me again.My husband was trying to calm him down when he suddenly bit my husband and drew blood.
My husband called the vet's office and made the appointment to euthanize him.

I have spent the last few weeks spending time with him and his companion kitty that I am euthanizing
with him.I have taken pictures of both of them and will have his favorite toy with us in the morning.The
girl kitty I am also euthanizing has been his companion for many years and has difficulty walking up stairs
and jumping on the bed.I didn't want anyone to think I would put an animal down for selfish reasons.

I do want to thank everyone that gave me advice on my kitty and I can really use prayers for what I have
to do.I might take off of ATS for a few days and maybe just log in to see what's happening.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Sounds like its a done deal. Too bad I missed that other thread. I would have asked if you saw episodes of My Cat From Hell? Dude is like the Dog Whisperer for cats…

Maybe thats too far back down the road to consider. Quality of life for both you and your pets is the thing. If your two cats have lived long and healthy lives with you, then thats a boat load of good memories.

So sad, so sorry to lose our beloved pets.

edit on 6-6-2016 by intrptr because: bbcode

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

How old is the boy cat? Have you ever watched 'My Cat From Hell'? The reason that most cats on that show are vicious and do "bad" things are because they are miserable and it is because of their human's behavior. Jackson teaches the humans how to act, if not always, at least more than he teaches the cat how to act.

Is your cat neutered? Is he ill in any way?

How exactly was your husband trying to calm him down? It sounds like your husband was doing it in a physical way. It sounds like your cat is angry about something and touching him may not be the way to calm him down. In fact, it will probably make him more mad. Hence, the biting.

Even though euthanizing healthy cats is legal, I do not advocate it. Not to sound cold, but I really think you should look at how you and your husband's actions and circumstances are negatively affecting your cat. What about other options? Can you not take him to a shelter? Is it possible for him to be outside?

Has he always acted this way? Has he always peed on the walls? If not, what has changed just prior to this beginning?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: paperdoll

My cat is 14 years old and has kidney disease.Peeing on the walls has been
something that he has been doing recently.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Sorry to read about your situation with your cats. One of my cats is getting older and I have been giving her food grade diatomaceous earth in her food (for worms) and I notice it has improved her ability to jump- maybe your cat just needs some supplements?
Also, this same cat bit me once (sank her fangs into my hand) - but it was because I kept petting her in an area of her body where some fleas were causing her to itch. So really she wasn't being malicious- my hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe instead of euthanizing the cats you can find them new homes or turn them in to a shelter?

Sal

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I adopted a cat that once. He would attack my feet, bite at me and be a general pain in the butt. I decided to just ignore him as far as trying to pet him. I would talk to him all the time though, using his name all the time...just converse with him.

Pretty soon he began to respond to this by sitting on the arm of the couch, right next to where I always sat. He finally accepted me petting him. But that was the extent of his interaction with me. He was just a "loner" cat and the way he had acted before was simply his way of telling me I had to accept him on HIS terms.

I'm so sorry you feel you must have your kitty boy put down. That's the most painful thing we as people who are owned by cats must, at times, do. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure this is your ONLY choice? As a few others have said watching "My Cat From Hell" may give you some insight. I got DVD's of the show from the library. PLEASE think about it?!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I adopted a cat like that once. He would attack my feet, bite at me and be a general pain in the butt. I decided to just ignore him as far as trying to pet him. I would talk to him all the time though, using his name all the time...just converse with him.

Pretty soon he began to respond to this by sitting on the arm of the couch, right next to where I always sat. He finally accepted me petting him. But that was the extent of his interaction with me. He was just a "loner" cat and the way he had acted before was simply his way of telling me I had to accept him on HIS terms.

I'm so sorry you feel you must have your kitty boy put down. That's the most painful thing we as people who are owned by cats must, at times, do. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure this is your ONLY choice? As a few others have said watching "My Cat From Hell" may give you some insight. I got DVD's of the show from the library. PLEASE think about it?!
edit on 6-6-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

My cat is 14 years old and has kidney disease.Peeing on the walls has been
something that he has been doing recently.

Oh, I see. Sorry, I was under the impression he was healthy and peeing on walls as a behavioral problem. But yeah, kidney disease is a whole different thing. I'm really sorry for what you are going through; losing pets is one of the toughest things in life. It sounds like you gave them good lives, with a playroom and all. Hang in there.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The cats' play room has 6 windows in it,a cat tree that goes from floor to ceiling.
A large sofa and a full size bed and dresser.I put my son out there when he visits.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Behavior problem was our first thought until we had tests done at the vets.
I had him tested again a few weeks ago his results hadn't gotten any worse.
I just can't have him peeing on our walls.His favorite place to pee is in the
kitchen.I will have to replace the wood paneling and thankful that I have a
spare stored in the garage.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Making these decisions sucks. I'm so sorry!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I know,I have cried a lot in the past 3 weeks since we made this decision.
I have even tried to find reasons to keep him and he keeps confirming why
we have to.He just clawed up my right calf last week.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My personal opinion is that you are probably doing the right thing - sad as it is.

We have to remember that often times when animals attack the people they love, it's because they are in pain. He probably feels bad with the kidney disease. Why force him to live in agony? That would be selfish.

I had to put down my favorite cat a few months ago. He had diabetes. I tried the insulin shots - gave him two shots a day for about 6 months. We could never get his blood sugar regulated no matter how hard we tried with insulin dosage. He started to lose the use of his back legs and it was getting harder for him to walk or use the litter box. Because he didn't seem to be in great pain, I kept him around. One day I walked into the room where the litter box was and saw him trying to squat. He was literally crying because his back legs didn't have the strength and he kept falling down in the box. That's when I realized I was being selfish in keeping him alive.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
My coworker's wife has been hospitalized twice due to cat bites from their own pet cats.
She had to have intravenous antibiotics both times.
They no longer have cats.
I am sorry that it happened to your hubby.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Assuming they vet has checked for urine blockage? I had one start peeing in front of me, when he had that problem, then he quit when it was treated. That said, we had to have one put down not too long ago, for kidney failure, and yeah, she went wherever. No control anymore. The attacking behavior is a problem, as well. On the parents had was typically sweet, and he went a bit schitzo after a while, going, like flipping a switch, from purring to biting. Sometimes, we have to let them go.

Never easy! Hugs, cause they are needed.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
My cat Missy passed away at 11:47 a.m. and my cat Max passed away at 11:50.
Both passed away in my arms.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'm sorry. I know it was a difficult decision. (((HUG)))

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Tonight is going to be my first night without my fur babies sleeping next to me.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I am so sorry you have to make these hard decisions.
[[[hugs]]] for you!!!!

The heart aches will heal over time!!!!

new topics

top topics

join