It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Electrical Device Promising for Spinal Cord Injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Scientists are encouraged by early tests of a new device for treating spinal cord injury. By implanting oscillating field stimulator, they have found improvements in motor function and reduction of pain in test subjects. The device works by creating a magnetic field which has been found to be safe and well tolerated. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved further testing of the device.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Early tests are raising hopes that a new device can help people who've injured their spinal cord.

Implantation of an oscillating field stimulator, which generates an electrical field, is a safe, well-tolerated treatment that may improve motor and sensory function in such patients, findings from a pilot study suggest.

The device, which was developed at Purdue University, is placed near the site of injury and is designed to stimulate nerves to regenerate and, it's hoped, restore some degree of function.

After seeing encouraging results in dogs with spinal cord injury, Dr. Scott Shapiro, from Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, and colleagues tested the device in humans. The researchers' findings appear in the Journal of Neurosurgery-Spine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This would be great news for people who have SCI. Improvements in motor response can make a difference as can reducing the pain associated with the injury. No doubt this is one of many research areas being looked at and hopefully one that will pan out. Other areas include the use of stem cells and other therapies.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Great news! I can relate first hand the frustration of experiencing an injury you cannot recover from. Being a C4/5 since 1994 I felt dispear over the past 4 years here in the USA. I can honestly say the hope is coming back with the States taking stem research being revisited and more promising news coming to the fore-front.

Thanks FredT

join