It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Caribbean Earthquakes And Tsunamis A Real Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

"A dozen major earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have occurred in the Caribbean near Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the island of Hispaniola, shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic, in the past 500 years, and several have generated tsunamis.
The most recent major earthquake, a magnitude 8.1 in 1946, resulted in a tsunami that killed a reported 1,600 people.

With nearly twenty million people now living in this tourist region and a major earthquake occurring on average every 50 years, scientists say it is not a question of if it will happen but when."

www.spacedaily.com...

This is more likely to affect europe and africa but it is something to consider.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I pulled this post up from the bowels of page 4. To hopefully revist the tsunami potential in the Atlantic Ocean. Also included is a link to an animation provided by UC Santa Cruz. (Requires Quicktime I believe).

es.ucsc.edu...(5).mov.

the text from their website
www.ucsc.edu...

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I was reading here i think about the Canray Islands volcano, if it erupts apparently it will break off a third of itslef to plunge into the ocean which will start a tsunami that will hit the carribean and the new york side of America....

scary...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I recall reading how funding for monitoring that Volcano was pulled by Spain within the last 8 weeks, and the US has not yet done anything to ensure it's continued moniterance. Incidentally I believe there was a post here about all that. Will look for it and link it.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Ahh yes here we go.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rather bizarre decision making of the US Government if you ask me. questionable to say the least?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Scientists issued a fresh warning today: The northern Caribbean may be at a high risk for a major tsunami, based on historical records that date back to Columbus’ arrival in 1492.

I am dismay that noone has had anything to add since my last post ...

LIVE SCIENCE

new topics

top topics

join