It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing New Year's Celebrations into the 21st Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I have a suggestion. We no longer live in a provincial world. Ours is a global community. We can watch the war or view any event in the world in real time from the comfort of our homes, our cars, or anywhere we might happen to be. Why do we continue to celebrate the New Year by time zones. By the time the idiots in Albuquerque start pumping ordnance indiscriminately into the air and each other, it has already been the new year for some eighteen hours.

What the world needs is a synchronized New Year's celebration. Imagine if all the world watched the same ball at the same time and had a simultaneous celebration. Wow! It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

[edit on 05/1/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Not one person thinks that this is the idea of the millennium.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A voice in the wilderness.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'd rather be in Scotland getting ratarsed and listening to the skirl of the pipes than watching a ball on a stick.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I'd rather be in Scotland getting ratarsed and listening to the skirl of the pipes than watching a ball on a stick.

I'm not suggesting that the whole world congregate in one spot to celebrate. I suggesting that with mass communication, it should be possible for all to share the event simultaneously. All celebrations would be local, but the only one taking place at midnight would be at the International Dateline. My point is that by the time, say, Nome, Alaska gets to celebrate, it's almost January 2nd at the Date Line.

I just have to wonder what it would sound like if everyone was celebrating simultaneously.

[edit on 05/1/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The only way that would happen is if we had a 'Earth time' concept where no matter where in the world you are, the time would be the same. If its 1:00 for example, its 1:00 in the UK, the US, Australia etc. An hour later, its 2:00 no matter where in the world you are. etc.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well, I'm not too hot on the World Time idea, as the time zones are useful for business and other purposes. I just would like to see everyone celebrate the new year at the same time. Actually, I wouldn't mind World Time, but most folks couldn't deal with it and we'd have a much better chance of getting everyone to cooperate for one day a year.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Clearly, this is not an idea whose time has come.

top topics

join