It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have just solved an ancient Peruvian mystery from space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
DAVID NIELD
15 APR 2016

www.sciencealert.com...

Archaeologists have used high-resolution satellite snapshots to finally piece together a mystery surrounding the ancient people of Peru's famous Nasca region.
. . .
As BBC Future reports, this provides insight into how this network of tunnels and caves was created in Nasca. It's now believed that the primary aim of the puquios were to enable communities to survive in an area continually hit by drought: they were essentially a cutting edge hydraulic system used to retrieve water from aquifers underground.
. . .
The spiral-shaped holes work by funnelling wind into underground canals, wind which then forced water from deep subterranean reservoirs to the places it was needed. Any water left over was then stored in surface pools. The construction was of such a high standard that some of the puquios still function today.

It sounds and looks like a very ingenious system, to me.

Some of the puquios still work today.

I wish the article had more illustrations about the specifics of how the wind brought the water higher.

Anyway--I enjoy reading about how ancient civilizations solved daily life problems. I think this is a good example of that.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Okay, except for the spiders and humming birds, etc.

Maybe they were praying to Rain Gods hoping they would see the figures and reward them with a good rainy season?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I'm not sure how you're connecting your point to the article.

Sounds to me like they engineered a water solution--with brilliance and cleverness.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Great topic.

Please add further discussion to the original thread, located here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed

new topics

top topics

join