It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jalalabad C-130 crash caused by pilot error

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The Air Force C-130J that crashed in Jalalabad Afghanistan in October, killing 11 on board and three Afghan guards on the ground was caused by pilot error. Although honestly error is too nice of a word to use.

The crew had flown in from Bagram, and were performing an engine running offload. The cargo included some tall containers, so the pilot pulled back on the yoke to raise the elevators to make offload easier.

After holding the yoke back for several minutes, he took the hard side night vision goggle case and jammed the yoke back with it. The offload was completed and the aircraft proceeded to depart. On takeoff the aircraft pitched up steeply, due to the case jammed against the yoke. The copilot misidentified the problem as a problem with the trim, resulting in the wrong response. The aircraft impacted the ground 28 seconds after takeoff.

www.hanscom.af.mil...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It would be comical if not for the loss of life. Lemme just jam this old control stick up because I don't want to hold it...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

How the hell did they figure that one out??

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Recorders and location of debris.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

After holding the yoke back for several minutes, he took the hard side night vision goggle case and jammed the yoke back with it.

Oddly enough, I can sort of see it. Thank God we had the guys flying us around we did.

It sounds stupid after the fact, and I'm sure my last thoughts would have been 'that was pretty stupid, I hope no one figures that out', but I can see it happening. (silent prayer to the God Of #=ups I never did something like that)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I recall a freighter jet crash out of San Antonio two or three decades ago where the yoke security shaft/pole/rod was left in place at takeoff and prevented proper control. The voice recorder told the story. Only the two pilots died.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I got left behind on a diving gig when the weather turned and they had to bail. My buddy and I were left drifting towards a non-friendly country coast line with some time to consider our errors.

Most of the conversation was about not wanting to go down in history as the worlds biggest #ups.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The aircraft I work on has a pilot or co-pilot disconnect switch , it disconnects the control column from the other so if there is a restriction the other guy can take control unimpeeded, would have been useful in that instance.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I can't see that official story.....dang

the officials really expect anyone to believe full back and the boys didn't notice lack of push, but......but

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Why not? With some of the other mistakes pilots have made over the years this doesn't surprise me.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I spent 10 years as an accident investigation photographer for the USAF. It was a stupid mistake that cost lives but I've seen others do the same kind of dumb things. The C-130 is a forgiving aircraft as far some aerial mistakes but major mistakes in flying usually make you quite dead. I'm glad they found the cause and I hope it isn't repeated. My best,

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
RIP to them. Pilot error must always be reduced to minimize mishaps like this.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
you're right, Zaph, baby.....That bugs me nowadays, too......
the case was placed maybe on the dashtop while taxiing....then fell back inplace after.....no...naw.......conjecturing bigtime.......the yoke was glued in place while taxiing is not probable.....Shirley.....don't call me shirley

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The Mishap Aircraft suffered a bird strike on takeoff from Bagram and had to return to be inspected before continuing. They then sat approximately 50 minutes during the off and on loading process. They reached a decent rate of over 2400 fpm post stall.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join