It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret to writing music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
music

music is based on rhythm, synched repeating sounds, even notes are determined by frequency which is a measure of repetition. This is why rhyming words are used and why autotune is used. The best example of it I can think of that I've seen is when Peter Griffin goes to see Terry schiavo the musical in family guy.

edit on 11-4-2016 by SpecialSauce because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Everything except planet earth is space, but even planet earth is in space.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
what are you two on about a reply to: SpecialSauce

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SpecialSauce

familyguy.wikia.com...:_The_Musical

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Sometimes laughter means not laughing too much, but instead laughing a lot but still a little bit.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Autotune is used because modern contrived prepackaged pop "personalities" can't carry a tune.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness youtu.be...

Here is you were always on my mind by Willie Nelson. Notice how his singing carries the same tune the guitar does.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Well, that's hardly a secret if you ask me. It's more like the most convoluted way to look at music creation that one could possibly conceive of.

A better way to look at it, is that music is basically an arrangement of sympathetic and antagonistic vibrations, created by one or more instruments for the purpose of illiciting a response of some sort in the listener. The first music was probably played on some kind of drum, since drums combine two things that we know our ancient ancestors loved to do, smacking crap with a stick, and skinning animals. It is arguable that singing came first, but that's another thread I think. The chicken and the egg of music. Alas, I shall be working today, so someone else will have to carry that thought to its logical conclusion!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Also.... Auto tune? Really?

The hell with that. Keep music live people.

Auto tune is for artists who either do not learn their material before recording it, or simply are not capable of performing it at all. The HELL with that. Learn the material, or go home.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Autotune?

I would hardly describe anything that required autotune as music.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
There's no doubt Kesha and Katy Perry both have millions of fans, but the pop music icons may not be as unique as they think. This video essentially proves two of their biggest hits are the same song, giving credence to claims all pop songs sound alikem.wimp.com...

edit on 12-4-2016 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)
youtu.be...

edit on 12-4-2016 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Interested to learn your musical background. Mine is as an instructor, composer, performer, copyright owner.

Your op seems not based in music composition theory in harmony, melodic structure or chordal arrangement.

Your idea seems based in conjecture, assumption, opinion and personal revelation.

So to clear that up...your qualifications please. Professional? Experienced? Or just inexperienced non-educational background and/or assumptional observations?

Thanks-MS

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You can also throw all theory out the door and do the exact opposite. Phillip Glass is a classic example. But even then he does have credentials in chords, harmony, structure, etc. I would bet that Mr. Glass probably cringes at Autotunes as well!

The secret to writing good music is learning how to tune your instrument! Once you are tuned, you, not a machine, needs to be able to harmonize with the instrument. The rhythm section also needs to be tuned. Doesn't matter what you are tuning to: A-440, to stoner drone sub octave down from low E (or A) all instruments need to be tune with each other. Even Sonic Youth are in tune with each other regardless what tuning they are in.

But I do love Family Guy too...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Gee my only professional music background is as a concert working stagehand.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Interest parallel here. I ve always held the view that one should BECOME the instrument, and therefore the instrument is really playing you.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

actually...there are 2 forms of tuning, both cordant(in tune) and dis-cordent(out of tuning normally)...and there are different tunings as well in open tunings

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
First off everybody's assessment on auto tune is correct in this thread.

F AUTOTUNE!

There is a psychology behind music. And I agree its largely based around harmonious and dissonance and creating a resolution.

See the brain likes patterns. If the battern is broken rhe brain will try to fill in the missing pieces and see the rest of the shape. When it finally does, its like an itch that it just scratched. Theres a sense of pleasure and satisfaction.

So you have chords and notes that are harmonious with the key or tonic. The wave forms are all equal fractions of the key or fundamental frequency of the song. The notes in between are not fractions of that fundamental wave form and there fore are out of phase and break the pattern. The brain doesnt like that dissonance and broken pattern It now has an itch to scratch. Notes like that that are out of key are often called tension notes for a reason.

The next note or chord played should either rsmp up that tension to potentiate it, or be back in key and "resolve"

When it resolves and the pattern is making sense again the brain feels relieved and the itch is scratched. Pleasure is felt.

If its all harmonious notes, theres no effect. You need the tension from the dissonance to create like a mental pump to get the effect. Or like a circuit needs some sort of difference in potential for the juice to flow.

Adding rythems is a connected but different conversation. Sure some other folks here can add to that discussion.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Don't go mixing up credentials with musicality, for everyone's sake.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

For everyone's sake... I discussed chordal harmony, chordant, open and discordant tunings.

Experience? That only qualifies my background to relate information from a performing, composing and an instructional background of 50+ years.

Don't confuse experience, performing, multi- instrumental proficiency with opinion based on it.

As yours. Mine stands on it's own merit. So as not to confuse the subject.

top topics

join