It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just discovered -- weird object in cis-lunar orbit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ross 54

Would several decades of travel, and interactions with Earth, Moon, and Sun be likely to have changed the inclination of the orbit enough to account for a change of ~ 48 , or ~17 degrees, respectively?

Good question.
One that I have: What happened when stage separation occurred on the Apollo flights. I would think that any tiny amount of difference in the separation charges (timing or force) would change the trajectory of the spent rocket stage.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think they should be able to put the Goldstone radar on it for a nice detailed radar image, like they do with NEOs.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Posting so I can come back later. Nice find!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Any estimates on how large? a reply to: JimOberg

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClownFish
a reply to: charlyv

Thanks for this link! That's fascinating, in a scary sort of way.

You are welcome. I found it fascinating as well.
When you see all this stuff wizzing around you cannot help but think WHEN, other than how or why!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Most of them were deliberately impacted into the moon, though a couple went into solar orbit.

news.discovery.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Can anyone elaborate what does cis-lunar or trans lunar orbit mean?

Cheers

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A cislunar orbit is one less distant than the Moon. Translunar means at a distance greater than the Moon. The newly discovered object, S509356 is in a cislunar orbit.

Most orbital drift appears to be in the direction of the maximum and minimum distances, in space, and in reduction of the altitude of the orbit due to atmospheric drag.
Changes in the inclination of the orbit appear much less likely. A lunar mission orbit would apparently be inclined about 31 to 33 degrees. How an object from such a mission could acquire an additional 15 to 17 degrees of inclination, to give the 48 degree inclination of the newly discovered object, isn't clear.
edit on 11-4-2016 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2016 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

edit on 11-4-2016 by Ross 54 because: improved accuracy of figures given

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Thanks mate.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Me too, thanks! I'm getting an education by osmosis!

We start every day by watching the solar report on SuspiciousObservers.org because it's so cool and gives a head's up for earthquakes and equipment failures, plus the guy has a soothing voice. It's like, our TV says "life's Good" when we turn it on, and this guy always ends saying, "no fears."....I admit it sounds sappy, but we really are surrounded by "A hundred million miracles are happening every day."

Today I was saying it would be cool if there was a similar live feed for the moon, and here on this thread, there is a link for that too. Maybe it's simulated, but it's real to me. It even says it's 3D if you have the glasses, but mine didn't work. But I'll figure it out.

So, again, thanks to you and everyone else who contributes to ATS. You folks have made my life more exciting every day.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Judging by the Apogee/Perigee, it stays over a certain point on Earth for extended periods. Whether it's intended or not could be the clue to what this object does.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Almost 2 whole pages and no one has mentioned the black knight satellite.....oops

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Spent stage from some military payload? How many secret launches of that stuff are up there?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The return of the Black Knight !!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
The return of the Black Knight !!

Pretty much like any hypothetical or actual discovery of a trans-Neptunian body is the return of Nibiru !!

i.e. just some hot air and not worth getting agitated about.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It may be an alien probe from another solar system that is monitoring Earth.

That's my guess.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

We're all going to die!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

High inclination suggests something Russian.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Never underestimate the dangers posed by so called "space junk". It can cover far more serious problems. Fortunately British Sci Fi was years ahead of the human race in anticipating this dangers.

edit on 17-4-2016 by GrandCourtJester because: added link

edit on 17-4-2016 by GrandCourtJester because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join