It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities begin to challenge a bedrock of justice: They’re paying criminals not to kill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Do you know where they spend it and what on?

Thought not.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

That's an interesting parable of how modern parenting works. Now let me relate a parable of how "old school" parenting works:

The neighbor's kid is constantly running over Mrs. Smith's hydrangeas and flowerbeds with his bicycle. But this time, Mrs. Smith is waiting for him. She catches him in this act of vandalism and wears out his little legs with a set of braided switches she has acquired specifically for this occasion.

Then Mrs. Smith calls the kid's mother. As the little brat comes running through the door to complain to his mother about how mean old Mrs. Smith whipped him, he is smacked squarely in the face with a shoe. His mother is a 3rd degree Master of shoe fu, and the force is strong with her. He shakes off the painful stinging sensation just in time to see his mother flying through the air, a shoe in each hand, sporting a glare so intense that it sets the wallpaper alight around him in a perfect silhouette...

Our story picks up with the kid standing in his room waiting for his father to get home. Of course he must stand because his butt is too sore for him to sit down. Suddenly the door bursts open and standing in the opening is a mountain of a man who is supremely pissed. He hears the tell-tale clinking noise that is the unmistakable sound of a belt being unbuckled...

These days the neighbor kid is very respectful to Mrs. Smith. He always waves to her as he crosses the street because he will never ride his bike anywhere near her ever again.

-dex

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Dangerous lesson.

When will it connect in the kids' mind that if he persists at doing something else his parents don't want him to do, they might pay him for that too?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why don't we just do it for others as well? Take people serving years for their 3rd, 4th, 5th, DWI. Pay them not to drink and drive. "I'll tell you what, Charlie. I'll give you $1000 per month to stay away from the booze...or at least, don't drive after boozing."

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Do you know where they spend it and what on?

Thought not.

It doesn't matter what they spend it on. The money enters the economy, gets taxed, enters other peoples pockets, gets taxed again, and so on until it's all back in government hands. In the end all of the money is recouped and those people created work through their spending.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Why don't we just do it for others as well? Take people serving years for their 3rd, 4th, 5th, DWI. Pay them not to drink and drive. "I'll tell you what, Charlie. I'll give you $1000 per month to stay away from the booze...or at least, don't drive after boozing."

Given what we pay in health care costs due to alcoholics, we would probably come out ahead on it. Alcohol is one of if not the most dangerous drug in the country, it's something of a joke that it's legal while other drugs are illegal.

Then again, other countries have had massive success by legalizing nearly every drug and then simply paying for their treatment. That way they don't have to pay to keep people off of drugs, the drugs don't lead to unemployment, and crime is reduced.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Provided it's not spent for illegal gains and so on, but we can pretend they'd never spend it on drugs or anything.

You've convinced me. Best program ever. No holes in the logic. You win.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Provided it's not spent for illegal gains and so on, but we can pretend they'd never spend it on drugs or anything.

You've convinced me. Best program ever. No holes in the logic. You win.

Even illegal gains eventually get spent on legal products. What do you think drug dealers do with their money?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Lol however you can justify it to make yourself right, guy. Money laundering is totally cool

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gumbico

Perhaps the amount will increase. Criminal: Okay 1000 not to commit murder, 200 for anti-theft, 350 to negate serious physical assault, 300 and I wont rape, 50 so I don't piss in public, 25 and I wont shoplift or key your car.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gumbico

This is the Progressive logic on full parade.

Pay people not to work, pay to give drug users needles, pay for abortions and now pay people not to kill others.

What a pussified generation this group is turning out to be.

"Here, just don't hurt me.......have $1000 a month...." sad the cry baby progressive.

Morons

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Same with school. If you misbehaved in school, the teacher paddled you. If you had done something really egregious, then the principal paddled you. They notified your mother and when you got home, you got sent to your room to await your father. And then....well, your description of the sound of the belt being removed was perfect. (:

Nine time out of ten times, you learned your lesson. Somewhere along the line, the meaning of "consequences for bad behavior" got redefined and now we have children gone wild.

Real story: A couple of days ago, while coming out of a sporting goods store, there was an older woman in a wheel chair just outside the doors. A kid about four or five with his mother passed her and said "goodbye, you old lady!" He said it in a very rude way, and his mother did nothing but giggle as if it was sooooo cute.

Old skool? Mama would have stopped. The kid would have gotten a lesson in rudeness. Would have had to go up to the older lady and apologized.

Somewhere along the line, discipline got confused with abuse (I'm sure there were those), and precociousness got labeled "freedom to express your darling little self", so say whatever you are thinking and/or feeling.

edit on 1-4-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Anyone miss the death penalty yet? Used to the motivation was if you don't kill, you get to live longer.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Acidx

Anyone miss the death penalty yet? Used to the motivation was if you don't kill, you get to live longer.

18th century England had close to 300 capital crimes (things they would kill you for), everything from accidents, to insulting royals, to stealing literally anything. They even killed 5 year olds for things like taking someone elses handkerchief. At the time executions were public, and were made to be extremely painful, in many cases attending these executions was even required of the citizens. Crime still didn't drop.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
So..
shoot some one,
then get paid not to do it agine.

yes that will lower crimb.
um? after a LOT of dead people and money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join