It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York vacation and Hamilton.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've just returned from a vacation in NYC, I've had a day to recuperate, and felt like sharing some of it.

Friday, I flew at 6am and got there at 10am. I met my buddy who had flown in from Seattle at the airport and we got to the hotel for early check-in, dropped bags and went to Manhattan. The original plan was to split up most of the sight-seeing between the 3 days we were going to be there. Instead, when we got off of the subway (yay for $31 week-long all you can ride public transit passes), we were right near Ground Zero so we headed over.

The Memorials are gorgeous and sobering, that's all I can say about them. Freedom Tower, while not at all my style of architecture, also gorgeous. I have a picture I took of the sky reflecting off of all the glass panes so it just blends in completely with the sky. From there, we made our way to lunch at Fraunces Tavern. This was a meeting place of the Sons of Liberty, as well as the tavern where George Washington resigned his commission. Excellent food.

We saw plenty of other things and rounded out Friday with a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

Saturday morning was a walking tour of Revolution Era New York. We learned a lot about that, and if you're ever in the city, check out Patriot Tours NYC. We swung through Trinity Church and the graveyard where we saw the graves of Hercules Mulligan, Eliza Schuyler Hamilton and Alexander Hamilton himself. This was a lead up to the reason we were in the city, to see Hamilton!

For those who don't know, this new musical features hip-hop, R&B, and jazz music and a multi-cultural cast of very talented young actors and actresses. It's currently sold out until at least January of 2017 and it's the hottest ticket in years on Broadway. We bought in December and prices for resell tickets for March were already nuts.

The show, I won't go into detail about. It would take pages and everyone would give up on the thread by then. All I can say is if you like American history, or musicals, GET THE CAST ALBUM. There's not a line of dialogue, the cast album is the whole show, you won't regret it.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
Fraunces Tavern..

I've lived here in nyc my whole life and have never heard of that place. Thanks

Glad you had a nice time

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
i hope to visit new york one day if i can afford it, thanks for sharing your experience glad nothing bad happened

i hear the statue of liberty's head is quite small, is that the case?
edit on 23-3-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Definitely check it out, it's in lower Manhattan. Food is incredible, they have (I think) 130 craft beers and over 200 different whiskeys.

a reply to: theboarman

Now that you mention it, her head does seem a bit small.

new topics

top topics

join