It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Cheetah Cubs born in Cincinatti Zoo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Cincinnati Zoo's cheetah cubs in critical care

Cheetahs are endangered, with their population estimated at 9,000 to 12,000 worldwide. (That's compared with approximately 100,000 in 1900.) As a result, their breeding in captivity is planned and monitored carefully. Because their breeding is most successful when they are able to choose from multiple mates, the Cheetah Species Survival Plan (SSP) has set up Regional Cheetah Breeding Facilities in zoos across the country. The Cincinnati Zoo is one of nine institutions accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums that take part in a cheetah Breeding Center Coalition, which works closely with the SSP.

Cheetahs are my favorite of large cats. They are beautiful to watch and especially skilled in the hunt. It takes a lot of effort for a Cheetah mother to raise a cub in the plains of Africa. So knowing that the Cheetah gene pool is being preserved and that Cheetah's are being assisted when faced with extinction is great news.

Here's hoping that these Cheetah cubs get to experience a wonderful life!

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Oh how precious! Cuteness overload! I would love to care for those beautiful babies!

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

For some reason, I can't get the direct link to work, but here is a Cheetah in all its glory stalking and running down its prey. It's astounding!

Cheetah Vs. Gazelle

There's also a lesson for the cheetah cubs in taking their prey!

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Now, thats brilliant news. Love big cats.....

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJudge2009

they are so cute ,glad steps are taken to ensure that they will live on

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Wonderful
so good to know some zoos help with species preservation. I wish these sweeties all the best,gorgeous little furballs

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
aaaaand I know what I'm doing this summer! Cheetahs are my favorite wild animal

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJudge2009
Now, thats brilliant news. Love big cats.....

These guys are pretty cool too.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It is rare for a Cheetah mom to have so many, but not unheard of. In the wild, most of them would not survive. It would be even harder for a wild mom to raise that many. I remember watching a season of Big Cat Diary on Animal Planet where their resident Cheetah mom, Amber, I think, did manage to raise nearly five cubs, but she was a very experienced female.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I remember Honey and Toto the best from Big Cat Diary. Toto had some remarkable luck surviving what he did. What's even more amazing was that Honey fended off a male lion saving Toto. That's nothing short of astounding.

edit on 3/21/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Go Cheetahs! what majestic animals, I hope all cubs survive.

new topics

top topics

join