It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leak of German Company's Synthetic Oil Production Technology - $12 a barrel oil coming soon!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

originally posted by: pteridine
The watermark is Sud Deutsch and not Hoch Deutsch, which is a bit unusual but also hints that this is ein großer Schabernack.

No it´s not süd-deutsch or bavarian/swabian. It´s just faulty high german (hochdeutsch).
I live in south germany and speak both bavarian-accent, swabian-accent and of course high german.

It´s also more than uncommon to use any accent in offical papers. There is also no official south/north dialect and certainly not an agreement how to write those custom words.

But it hints at Kalauer/Schabernack, you´re right with that.

Thank you for your explanation. I have not studied German in 50 years so my language skills are a bit rusty. I had three separate professors. Two were native Germans and one was from South Carolina. Imagine listening to suddeutsch German with a Southern American accent overlaid on it.
Prof. Dr. Reinkraut was my favorite. She had the ability to sight read all Germanic languages, including ancient Norse and Icelandic, and liked giving reading assignments in Fractur printed works. These took some extra effort, visually, but turned out to be quite helpful when reading older science and engineering publications.

Likely the use of an online translator is yet another indication that says practical joke.
edit on 3/22/2016 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine
Yes, that´s also my conclusion. Definitly someone who has no clue in german language or a translator. Probably the last one because of what I wrote in the post before.

Imagine listening to suddeutsch German with a Southern American accent overlaid on it.

No need to:
That´s what we ironically call "denglisch" here.

www.youtube.com...
Warning, do not drink smth. while watching.
He´s swabian.

edit on 22-3-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I thought he did a fine job for someone who was probably reading a phonetic translation of his speech or trying to pronounce words he had never seen before in English. Some of the subtitles did not reflect what he said but it was difficult to hear it all. Whenever I am in the middle of a language problem, I consider that the person is doing a better job in English than I could do in their language. I keep sentences simple, speak slowly, and listen carefully to responses. When I make presentations, I double label charts and plots in the language of the local people and have explanatory slides in their language, also, even though most of the scientific and engineering world uses English. One cannot assume that all are as fluent as necessary. I also have two people check the slides, especially in Chinese or Korean, to make sure that they say what I think they say. Printed versions are made available for the audience. When they have questions regarding the presentation afterwards, they can then just circle the area of interest on the printout. This is a timesaver and usually I have help from the host getting the nuances. New software allows some typing back and forth with translation [sort of] and this is also a great help after we iron out the word usage.

Tschüss

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

originally posted by: pteridine
The watermark is Sud Deutsch and not Hoch Deutsch, which is a bit unusual but also hints that this is ein großer Schabernack.

No it´s not süd-deutsch or bavarian/swabian. It´s just faulty high german (hochdeutsch).
I live in south germany and speak both bavarian-accent, swabian-accent and of course high german.

It´s also more than uncommon to use any accent in offical papers. There is also no official south/north dialect and certainly not an agreement how to write those custom words.

But it hints at Kalauer/Schabernack, you´re right with that.

===

I think we can ALL agree the Cyano-Bacteria part is hogwash!
I personally am going to say it's a PROBABLY a hoax coming from
somewhere in Europe possibly from a non-native German Speaker
BUT probably living IN Germany! The reason I say somewhere in
Europe as being the true document source is the 2nd page which
EMPHASIZES a heavy environmental footprint reduction strategy
which I do not usually see in North American-based press releases
which TEND to emphasize pure technology. This differentiation
in environmental attitudes is a product of Euro-vs-North America
Schooling so that is why my "Intelligence Gathering Eye" says
Euro source.

I HAVE QUESTIONS THOUGH:

1) One question is WHY do it at all?

2) Is someone trying to short oil and gas stocks
by announcing new hydrocarbon production technology?

3) Who benefits?

4) Is here a hidden agenda in the documents themselves?

5) Is the document a distraction designed
to bring SOMETHING ELSE technology-wise forward?

This being ATS I HAVE TO raise those above points!

edit on 2016/3/22 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

But, really, then he should have tried to read it beforehand ;-) My sentences may read to some like he speaks english.

Whenever I am in the middle of a language problem, I consider that the person is doing a better job in English than I could do in their language.

A good point of view. Most english native people here forget sometimes that they might encounter people whose native language isn´t english, they never learned it in school or it was 30+ years ago when they had to formulate a sentence. I catch myself often messing up the a/an thing and words that are the same in both language but have a totally other meaning or no valid translation.

Man sieht sich.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7
Can we? I don´t know. There are thousands of cyanobacteria types.

Let´s see if I can find hints and pitfalls of a german mind trying to write something in english but I doubt, like you already wrote, the person is really from Germany.

1) #´s and giggles?
2) Could be, but the price is already very low for both currently so where is the sense?
3) see 1)
4) Have to read through them, but I´m not a chemical person, I have degrees in electronics engineering and software development, would not be much help.
5) who knows

Your questions/points are very widely formulated.

Edit:
I noticed the yellow sticky-notes type of panel in the PDF. At the bottom it reads "Anmerkung 4 (GMBH?)"
this is to be translated like this:
Comment 4 (GMBH?)
where the GMBH is written the wrong way on the header also.

"GmbH = Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung"
translates to
"company with limited liability"
that´s a type of legal form like "CO." or "Limited" but written the wrong way.

This "leak" looks thrown together. Because notice the font that is used in the explanation and then the different one on page2.

Because of all this, I call fake.
And the fact that there is no so called "Petro-Cyan GmbH" to be found in Germany, let alone Munich.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I believe you are correct in that the person
is NOT a native German-speaker but based upon
the order of some English expressions set out in
the documents themselves also indicate to me
this is also a NON-NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER!

I personally believe this person has REGULAR
exposure to German and thus my HumInt eyes
say this person at least LIVES in Germany
]but was PROBABLY not born there nor grew
up there! Again to me when I say the
watermark expressions out loud, I find them
fine and understandable to me on a figurative-level
who has only childhood German from parents and relatives.

It is the HEAVY emphasis on environmental responsibility which
is the kicker in confirming the source being somewhere in Europe.
Now again, this being ATS...the word WHY comes to mind
and maybe I'm not young anymore but this type of stuff
takes brainpower and TIME to make and do...SO WHY DO IT
in the first place? I just CANNOT SEE the Fits and Giggles as
being a good enough reason for me! What BENEFIT is there?
I am CURIOUS if there has been any recent SHORT-SALES
in the last few days or weeks of certain petro stocks
around the world! Who is making them and WHY?

What do THEY KNOW that WE DON'T?
THAT is where I would be looking!

edit on 2016/3/22 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7
Don´t stress yourself... reads like you´re going full doc brown mode ^^

I´m nearing the 50s and could throw this together in no time with all the technical wargarbl, don´t overestimate the paper.. The technical side looks like a copy from somewhere else so change a word here and there, add the dumb self-asking questions on page two and voi la!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join