It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Bay-Prison camp or concentration camp?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Guantanamo Bay is in the news again today. They are releasing four men who have been held for 3 years with no charges being filed against them.

www.cbsnews.com...

Louise Christian, a lawyer two of the men, Abbasi and Mubanga, said the men were "kept in cages" without any charges or trial. There is "credible evidence of torture and ill-treatment," she added.

This is not the first story like this from Gitmo. Why has there not been more investigation of this camp from military and news outlets? It seems the media prints the story and forgets about it until the next one.

I think the military should be forced to release all information on conditions and treatment of the detainee's at these facilities! The US has a history of treating non-American detainees in a brutal way, remember the Japanese concentration camps during WW11?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is not a criminal case on TV, it is a WAR. There is no need to file charges. There is no need to abide by the Geneva freaking convention! The only mistake the US made was taking prisoners in the first place. Intel from these "innocent little boys" isn't that important.

Please start teaching history and civics in public school again, please! Stop teaching "social engineering" and making morons out of our citizens. Please.....................

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
DrHoracid, Using the catchall phrase "War" does not give the US or any country the right to treat people, detainee's or otherwise in a brutal fashion. There still should be standards and rules that should be followed. Torture and mistreatment should never be tolerated, even under the guise of War!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
this was on the channel 4 news
it showed an interview with a former detaniee
on how the conditions are and everything and how they are tortured daily

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Guantanamo Bay is a indeed a concentration camp, prisoners are afforded neither the protections of the Geneva convention as they would as a prisoner of war, nor their rights as fellons as they would if they were arrested as criminals.

The piont that should be made about Guantanamo Bay is that it exemplifies the injustices and excesses which we used to justify condemning Iraq. It says nothing of those imprisoned there, but speaks volumes about the growing level of hypocracy and lack of respect for the rule of law that is epidemic across the west. In our rush to find the guilty we have become everything we despise.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I have to agree that the former reason of having Guantanamo for "Terrorist" of the 9/11 plot, was over extended, is not war and not only the people in Guantanamo are illegally detain but also they were never charged.

I wonder when the first law suit against the US will come after those detainees goes back home.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't think they ever let people out alive in concentration camps, so it's definitely a step or two above that. Torture is just part on the prison experience, whether in America or anywhere else. The only reason its news here is because the war on terrorism draws lots of attention. It seems to be the nature of humans to abuse those in which they have complete control over.

I bet you could go into any prison on the planet & find torture going on, but they're bad people you know and bad people deserve to be treated bad right? It would be a sin to treat them well and then it wouldn't be punishment would it?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The following is a quote from South Australian Senator Linda Kirk.

"David Hicks has been held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in a US military camp for 19 months, without trial or charge, in conditions that can only be described as cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment.

In March, I presented a petition to the Senate signed by over 1600 South Australians calling for a 'fair go' for Mr Hicks. This represented only a small proportion of the growing number of
Australians who want the Government to demand justice for David Hicks.

Mr Hicks may or may not be a terrorist, but the birthright of all Australians is that their Government will fight for their legal rights when they are imprisoned overseas. The Government should demand the same treatment for Australians as is received by citizens of the United States.

The only US combatant captured in Afghanistan, John Walker Lindh, was offered a criminal trial in the United States before a court with full legal rights and due process in accordance with US law.

By contrast, one of our own citizens will face a military commission without any right to appeal. The commission will not be independent from the US Government and will not operate under the standard rules of evidence. Mr Hicks will have a lawyer chosen for him by the US Government and his own Australian lawyer will be limited to the role of a "consultant".

Just this week, Government Ministers have pre-empted the legal process by leaking alleged evidence to be used before the commission. If this selective disclosure of evidence had happened prior to a criminal trial in Australia, the Ministers could have been found to be in
contempt of court."

www.fairgofordavid.org...

Many survived the concentration camps of WWII, my wifes family were detained for many years in Poland, and now live in Australia...

As an Australian, I object to David Hicks being held in Guantanamo bay, given he's done the wrong thing, but as an Australian citizen and as Australia is allied to the US he should be returned to Australia to face charges....

top topics

join