It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the anatomy of a scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
preamble - the jump of link i am using in this thread is taken from a nother ATS thread that i will not name - and request that people do not conflate the 2 threads - thanks .

ok - now onto the real OP of this thread :

the anatomy of a scam :

there is the text of a web page , now without clicking the source - or googling - can you tell me what the hell they are talking about ?

read it and gigle :

The Tech that Created the World’s First Mega Soldier

By MONEY MORNING STAFF REPORTS

From sniper to tank drivers, New Tech is changing the way we prepare for war

A new technological breakthrough has been adopted by the military that would give soldiers abilities typically illustrated in children’s comic books.

We’re not talking about a pill, or injection. We’re talking about a new device – one that’s projected to be in 64% of U.S. homes by 2020.

The U.S. military has made significant investments in new this new technology, and plan to implement the use of it in a wide variety of training exercises, ranging from specific combat scenarios to trauma management.

As uses for the technology continue to expand at an accelerating rate, so does government investment, as well as from some of the world’s biggest tech companies.

Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook invested an astronomical $2.1 billion in this technology – before it even hit the market.

Microsoft’s CEO jumped in with $150 million, stating that this technology has “mind-blowing potential.”

And Google’s, Larry Page, recently headed a funding round worth $542 million to get his company in on the ground floor.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Money Morning has arranged for 500 prototypes of this device to be sent free to our readers today. Supplies are very limited. Go here to learn how to claim yours.

According to analysts, the market for this type of technology is already set for blistering growth.

In fact, a recent published report from several Silicon Valley venture capital firms believe this single technology could soar “over 13,000% in the next 3 years.”

Time Magazine says the breakthrough has the potential to completely “revolutionize the way we live.”

Watch the presentation below to get a full rundown of this breakthrough and the little-known company that holds virtually all of the patents for it.

ok - now you have read that what is " it " ?????????????

if you are honest and admit that you have no idea - that dear readers is your first clue that you are teetering on the edge of a scam

because the only way to find anything else out is the ` click bait ` links - all of which go to the same A/V " presentation "

you will listen to a very slick snake oil sales man who makes lots of fantastic claims - and drones on - before finally after a mind numbing monologue - invites you to send him money - i refused to do the next click

this particular itteration of the scam is a claimed souper douper new technology called " neural imprinting "

if you have the fortitude - watch / listen - and take notes - every annecdote presented - jot down the key names etc for later use

thats the time to run like hell - assuming you made it through the presentation .

now assuming you didnt drink the kool-aid and " invest "

its time to reveal the source of this idiocy :

source

see the domain name - thats another big red flag - just read the disclaimer for mirth value only

now step back and google all the names from the annecdotes - hint use "............." to narrow search parrameters

ie " neural imprinting " , dont use neural imprinting

also use site specific searches on goofle advanced search

remember how it cited time magazine ? with the claim “revolutionize the way we live.”

would it surprise you to learn that time.com has no articles on " neural imprinting "

nor any evidence of walter reed hospital using " it "

nor has google scholar got a single linked paper on the topic [ thats relevant ]

infact no annecdote cited returns a single relevant hit [ mirrors , reposts , etc etc dont count ]

i am not sure how many people fall for these things - but they must have some success rate - or they would not be published

thus ends the rant

these things hare a formulamatic scam based on templates - dont get sucjed in - educated your frends etc if they ask your advice - and for fook sake dont use them as cites in ASTS posts - cos i will fling poo

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

definitely a scam, seen a ton of those style scams around the web, often they are actualy based on some real news piece, but still aim only to take your money and give nothing back.

in this case its probably referencing one of these

www.nature.com...

nextbigfuture.com...

medicalxpress.com...

gizmodo.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That website seems to have copied the motley fool or it is from the motley fool. Most scams and even a lot of sales pitches even for legitimate products promise money, savings, something free, something the rich have, etcetera.... Etcetera. Something about money and repetitive experience with money both positive and negative make it that much more influential. Like when I was 7 noone cared about money at my age unless they were rich. But the older people get the more they care about it. I dunno why exactly though, I think it's experience but positive or negative I'm not sure.
edit on 7-3-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It's strange I have a strong feeling that this type of advertising should be illegal. It preys on vulnerable people particularly older people who can be less tech savvy. Yet I feel that we don't want to place too many rules on society.

One of the best ways to combat this is by sharing info like in the OP which is fantastic. These people should be named and shamed.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The people in the US are the target of every scam in the world. Things like buying timeshare vacation property and energy investments, stock market management companies and precious metal brokers are all in business to take your money by any means.

The biggest scammer is the US government itself. Let take hot button issues. The democrats are for gun control so there constituents contribute for "common sense gun control" and they make it a hot issue around the election cycle. The Republicans claim to fight new gun restrictions so money pours into their coffers...it's a scam just to fill their pockets. The NRA works the same way. Just by joining the NRA insure that you will get weekly call for contributions.

The man made global warming issue is another hot item where million of dollars are pour out to convincing people the catastrophic results of climate change. Politicians have already tried to enrich themselves and form companies to manage GW issues at the expense of the public.

My grandkids gave me a subscription to a magazine for Xmas and before I received the first issue a company called me for a three year renewal. I found out later this company had no connection with the magazine...supposedly. How do they get subscribers information if not connected?

When I was turning 65 and eligible for Social Security, I would receive very official looking mail from in it's appearance was SS about gap insurance. Only by reading the very small print was there a disclaimer to advise it was not an official document. It was trickery to buy their insurance. This not the only company who used the same scam.

The US is a wealthy country and in turn will come the people who work to get it by whatever method.

new topics

top topics

join