It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian/Eastern influences in rock music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I grew up with some indian influences and love the sound of its instruments, sitar, tambura, tabla and an infinity of other instrments that are virtually unknown to westerners, they just have something that transport me into a different state of mind when listening.
I also love classic rock / blues rock.

I was just listening to some less known Led Zep recordings and heard a couple of songs they (Plant and Page) did with the 'Bombay Orchestra' here is a cool story for Zep fans

Probably the Beatles are the best known example. Their exploration of Indian sounds, was something I believe totally exotic and strange for the western audiences at the time. Especially George Harrison and his long lasting friendship with Ravi Shankar.
Their trip to India is well documented, and even though the whole psychedelia/lsd scene was probably a major factor in these 'explorations' it undoubtably was a great step to break from the conventions of american and british popular music.

But then again these were the 60's and 70's, when popular bands weren't afraid to experiment, I wasn't born then but they sure seem an interesting time for rock music. Sometimes I wish I had been born earlier just for that, lol
How have the airwaves been saturated with the same beats and mainstream pop is beyond me.

But I thought if anyone here knows of any more interesting stuff like this from then or even modern, please add!

Actually, there's a group called Om that I stumbled upon by chance, they are labelled as 'stoner doom metal', but that's just silly, putting in boxes. Their album Advaitic Songs is one of the most interesting ones in recent years for me.

I surely don't know of any good more recent examples, it seems you have to be in some obscure subculture in order to hear the occasional gem nowadays.

Just a thought: I hate the label world music.
Isn't all music world music?
They mean it to be anything that doesn't fall in the standards of european and american notation and instrumentation, but that's just arrogant I think, It's all music, man.

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Nice thread.
Kula Shaker are an Indian influenced rock group.
From the UK.
Led by Crispian Mills. Grandson of Sir John Mills. And, son of actress Hayley Mills.
The band were around in the late 80s and 90s.
They split up. But, have reformed and are working on a new album.
I did like these when they were out. Didn't know they had got back together. I will be checking these out again.
Thanks for taking me back

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Just checked them out on YouTube, it sounds good, had never heard of them before, thanks!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

This is one of my favorite bands currently. The intro to this song is based on scales used in Indian music as well as use of a Tabla.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

Nice thread.
Kula Shaker are an Indian influenced rock group.
From the UK.
Led by Crispian Mills. Grandson of Sir John Mills. And, son of actress Hayley Mills.
The band were around in the late 80s and 90s.
They split up. But, have reformed and are working on a new album.
I did like these when they were out. Didn't know they had got back together. I will be checking these out again.
Thanks for taking me back

Yes, Kula Shaker is really good.

Govinda!

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

There are Eastern influences in many of Ritchie Blackmore's guitar solos. Just 2 examples from his large repertory.

new topics

top topics

join