It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane snow on Pluto's mountains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The New Horizon's team found something very interesting and exotic on Pluto - methane "snow" on Pluto's peaks in the dark region nicknamed Cthulhu Regio.

The upper slopes of the highest peaks are coated with a bright material that contrasts sharply with the dark red color of the surrounding plains.

Scientists think this bright material could be predominantly methane that has condensed as ice onto the peaks from Pluto's atmosphere. "That this material coats only the upper slopes of the peaks suggests methane ice may act like water in Earth's atmosphere, condensing as frost at high altitude," said John Stansberry, a New Horizons science team member from Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, Maryland.

www.nasa.gov...

There's something interesting I spotted in the published image. There are some orange streaks in one of the craters:

I wonder what those are, i.e. what they are made of.

Also, I wonder if it ever actually snows on Pluto, or does the frost "grow" directly on the surface?
edit on 4-3-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Orange flavor methane snow cones.

mmm, frosty.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Anyway, good eye.

I imagine as that crater cooled, the 'red soil' mixed with the cooling methane , running down the slope 'like' an avalanche slurry or whatever.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, Wildespace. This flyby of Pluto is history in the making and I'm interested to see everything that is learned from this event.
edit on 4-3-2016 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Amazing to think that just 10 years ago no one knew anything about Pluto, nothing about the Dwarf planets, nothing about things like the jets coming from Enceledus, knew not much about the surface of comets...

Our knowledge of our solar system has exploded the last decade. So exciting to be alive and witness all these discoveries.

Thanks for posting this

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wildespace, i sent you a private message

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Cool post, did you see the one where they are speculating about seeing clouds? If there are clouds, maybe the ice would form from them...

New Scientist: Clouds on Pluto?

new topics

top topics

join