It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria government, IS commit crimes against humanity: U.N.-backed inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So it seems the UN have done an inquiry into crimes against humanity...

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - War crimes in Syria's five-year-old conflict are widespread and Syrian government forces and Islamic State militants continue to commit crimes against humanity in the face of inaction by the international community, a U.N.-backed panel said on Monday.

"The stipulations of relevant Security Council resolutions ... remain largely unheeded and unimplemented," it said. "Crimes against humanity continue to be committed by government forces and by ISIS (Islamic State). War crimes are rampant."

They are also looking into the chemical attacks that were done during this conflict.

Speaking at the same news conference, commission member Vitit Muntharborn said they were also investigating allegations of chemical weapons use by different parties to the conflict, including alleged chlorine and mustard gas attacks.

Now here is where it get's interesting, because they would like to send this conflict to the ICC...now the only way that could happen is for the UN security council to refer it there since Syria isn't part of the ICC.

Syria is not an ICC member so the only way the court could take it up is with a Security Council referral.

news.yahoo.com...

Since Russia is a member of the security council there is no way they would vote to refer it to the ICC.

This should be interesting as Syria should have to answer for their actions aimed at the civilians of Syria, but unless something changes they don't have to...which is a shame.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Right now the most important thing is ending the war. To do that we need a Victor.

ISIS is a completely unacceptable option, destroying the government leads to chaos like seen in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc.

So, help the government win then expunge the war criminals and charge them for their crimes. I'm pretty sure a lot of this will be pinned on Assad, so the USA will get it's regime change if it thinks things through and changes tact.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It's known that Daesh used the chemical weapons.

It was a plan to kill 2 birds with one stone, blame Assad and claim these were the WMD's that Iraq had developed.

Everyone involved in the destruction of Syria are guilty of war crimes. After all it's a filthy war, that is currently looking like a pre-cursor to WWIII.

I hate the thought of another WW, but it feels more of a possibility than it does in my younger days in the 70's and 80's.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well when the people who head the UN human rights council are one of the biggest culprits of crimes against humanity, how are you supposed to take anything they say seriously?
Why does the world insist on putting the people who do the worst thing in any case in charge?
Hey let's let the banks write the banking laws ( because it's what they do they must be the experts ) ..
Oh let's put Saudi Arabia in charge of human rights because they are the best at keeping their own citizens safe .
LLet's put the politicians with the worst voting history in control of our country.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Right now the most important thing is ending the war.

I agree totally.

I'm pretty sure a lot of this will be pinned on Assad,

Well when it's your military dropping barrel bombs on civilians you should be held accountable for your actions.

so the USA will get it's regime change if it thinks things through and changes tact.

It seems Russia doesn't have a problem with Assad being gone.

Mr Churkin said Mr Assad now had to “follow Russia’s leadership” in resolving the crisis, which it could still do in a “dignified way”.
Russia has always insisted it is not “wedded” to the idea of Mr Assad staying in power, only to preserving the Syrian state.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Everyone involved in the destruction of Syria are guilty of war crimes.

It looks to me that they are looking at those who intentionally targeted civilians.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Well when the people who head the UN human rights council are one of the biggest culprits of crimes against humanity, how are you supposed to take anything they say seriously?

Care to show where they are the biggest culprits of crimes against humanity?

Why does the world insist on putting the people who do the worst thing in any case in charge?

Because that's what we do...that's why we aren't close to being perfect.

Hey let's let the banks write the banking laws ( because it's what they do they must be the experts ) ..

So exactly who would you like to see write the banking laws...someone who is clueless about banking and how it works, or those who are in the banking field?

Oh let's put Saudi Arabia in charge of human rights because they are the best at keeping their own citizens safe .

I do wonder about that decision myself...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
UN should closely investigate Turkey´s involvement in Syria situation and involvment supporting ISIS. Russian UN presentative Churkin gave 10 february 2016 information of what they have found out that Turkey government and officials are directly involved in situation in hand.
Here is the link to PDF Churkin gave to UN

PDF in UN
It is filed in UN..

As long as Turkey keeps stirring the pot.. i can´t see actual peace happening in Syria. IMHO
edit on 22-2-2016 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Everyone involved in the destruction of Syria are guilty of war crimes.

It looks to me that they are looking at those who intentionally targeted civilians.

Russia should be there, so should France. Oh, they're permanent members,

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: markosity1973

It seems Russia doesn't have a problem with Assad being gone.

Which makes me wonder why the USA is being so obstinate in agreeing to work with Russia in Syria.

I've presented that tidbit quite a lot when speaking in support of Russia's actions over there.

It seems on the face of it anyway both nations support stopping ISIS and both nations are agreeable to Assad going at the end of this.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Syria government, IS commit crimes against humanity: U.N.-backed inquiry....... so the 'get Assad out' campagin ramps up.

Shared govt with ISIS a?

top topics

join