It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada to raise tsunami aid to $425M

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Canada will substantially increase its funding for tsunami relief to $425 million (up from $80 million), a pledge which does not include amounts from individual provinces to the relief effort (Ontario & Alberta $5M each; B.C. $8M etc.) Individual Canadians have also been generous - to the tune of $100M todate. Also, Canada has sent its Disaster Assistance Relief Team (DART) to Sri Lanka to assist in purifying water and providing medical assistance. Further, RCMP officers and Ontario health officials are helping out with forensic identification of victims in Thailand. The country is further is considering a request from Indonesia to send trauma counsellors to Banda Aceh.

www.cbc.ca
OTTAWA - Canada will earmark more than $400 million over five years to help countries rebuild after the devastating tsunami, CBC News has learned.

Prime Minister Paul Martin will make the announcement this afternoon in Ottawa, sources say.

The funds – a dramatic jump from the $80 million already pledged – would bring Canada's contribution almost even with that of the United States, which currently stands at about C$427 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Considering the population of Canada is 32,000,000 this is substantial, and hopefully will go to the right places in a timely fashion. Seems Canada is more conservative when it pledges money, but actually does follow through, contrary to countries like the U.S. and Japan etc. who are notorious for not doing so.

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
www.theglobeandmail.com
www.forces.gc.ca

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

but actually does follow through, contrary to countries like the U.S. and Japan etc. who are notorious for not doing so.

Cosnsidering that the US is rather generous with its support do you care to back up that rhetoric?

Since people seemed so focused on the $$$ let us not forget the cost of an entire carrier battle group, all its helichopters, a MAU, 6 P3-C's, 5 KC-135, C-17's and the like add up to untold millions that will never be talked about

[edit on 1/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That would put Canada above the UK which is being generous itself.
This is good news.

The BBC hasn't updated their list yet.
news.bbc.co.uk...
I'll check back on it later.

Surely they'll have enough to get these regions back in shape now.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Fred-heard in on the news the other day...I'll see if I find anything online. There were a number of others, but those were the two that stood out. And I'm just talking about cash...not other assistance which the US of course provides quickly.

www.cbc.ca...

BTW - Since I posted, there was an press conference in Ottawa and that number has been increased to $425M.

www.cbc.ca...

new topics

top topics

join