It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Water Level In Virgina affected by Asian Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The USGS states that a well that provides water in a town in Virginia was affected by the earthquake in the Sumatra-Andaman Island region that caused the tsunami. The well - which has been monitored by the USGS since 1969 -- had a variation of 3 feet from normal an hour after the earthquake and it took 5 hours for it to return to near pre-earthquake level. There are several wells that are monitored by the USGS in Virginia for various reasons including drought levels; some of these wells are so sensitive they actually vary with the tides.

va.water.usgs.gov
The seismic waves generated by the Sumatra-Andaman Islands Earthquake caused the water level in a well in Christiansburg, Va., to oscillate nearly 3 feet (see below). The epicenter for this earthquake was 9,600 miles away from the well; seismic waves travel through the Earth at about 7,400 miles per hour. The water-level oscillations started about an hour after the earthquake and were slowly dampened out over a 5-hour period. This well is 450 feet deep, finished in limestone of the Beekmantown Formation, and water enters the well via fractures or cracks in the rock. Compression and expansion of these fractures by seismic waves cause the water to be drawn in and out of the well, similar to the way bellows work.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Over the few months I have been here I have learned a great deal about earthquakes from Val. But this totally blew me away. I find it hard to comprehend the power and the speed that was needed to have this happen 9,600 miles away in only an hour. And for it to take 5 hours to settle back down to normal is amazing.

Related News Links:
apnews.excite.com

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well, you learn something new everday---if you're lucky

The Christiansburg well, in the western part of the state, also shows regular, but small, changes caused by tides.

--from your excite link

I often wondered if freshwater was affected by tides, but this shows that even groundwater is affected.
It also amazes me this happened so quickly, was such a big rise in water level.
Of course, I am also amazed that the USGS knows enough to even know to monitor these wells.

I'm also learning way more than I ever thought I'd know about weather and earthquakes thanks to ATS.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Thanks for this news Justme - great stuff. ....It's just amazing how everything is connected, isn't it? another wow

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This sort of news makes one wonder about the effects that the Boxing Day earthquake had on Mt. Ranier/St. Helens and Yellowstone. It makes the possiblity of a major event in the U.S. seem less like speculation and more like an issue of when.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by KathyG427 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join