It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plugging in this date will permanently crash your iPhone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: Vector99
Y2-IPhone?

Y0-iPhone

Y O, Y O Y O Y????

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Only Apple.

Hardly. Any UNIX-based system is going to have issues with the date manually set to 1/1/1970 or earlier. This isn't exactly a new issue. There'll be problems if you set the date to 1/19/2038 03:14:08 too.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax

Sure if you could remove it.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: James99
a reply to: Shadoefax

Sure if you could remove it.

You can, in a matter of minutes. I've done so a number of times when repairing friends' iPhones. Just because there's not a little plastic latch to get at it doesn't mean it's not removable.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Honestly, I felt happier thinking this was an Apple problem. Now that I know it'll affect normal people too, I am truly devastated.

Well, the silver lining is we still have 22 years to prepare for Millennium bug V3, I suppose. Given the 'carnage' suffered during the last one, we better start now!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Honestly, I felt happier thinking this was an Apple problem. Now that I know it'll affect normal people too, I am truly devastated.

This is an Apple problem.

In 2038 the date will go negative and wrap around to some date in the early 20th century, if left as is.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Unix based clocks count time based on the number of seconds since the Epoch which is defined as Jan 1st 1970. Because these clocks usually store the value as a signed 32 bit integer, there's actually a problem in 2038 where these clocks will stop functioning unless the values are converted to 64 bit (or larger) numbers, not too dissimilar from Y2K, though they'll wrap around to 1902 instead. Usually these numbers are signed, but it's possible the IPhone is using an unsigned value (it would allow it to work past 2038 but not be able to go before 1970). That is most likely what's happening.

Windows clocks instead count from the date Jan 1st 1601.

It has nothing to do with John Titor, it's just a technical limitation of the computer software used.
edit on 14-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
your preaching to the choir with me. I agree with the Unix issue.

It has nothing to do with John Titor, it's just a technical limitation of the computer software used.

That was just a fun since he was said to be real and dealing with an Unix date issue.

May he really came back for Apple code or phones because the richest banker in his time line has a screwed up phone with his only copy of the key to his digital currency fortune stuck in it.

edit on 2/14/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/14/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join