It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Earth impact in 2029 ruled out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Last week, asteroid 2004 MN4 had been given a small chance of impacting Earth, based on observations in June and again this month. Astronomers then began independent efforts to find earlier observations of the asteroid.

Here is the rest of the article I found but would go into quote box....

The Spacewatch Observatory near Tucson, Ariz., found faint pictures of the asteroid in archival images dating to March 15, the Near Earth Object Program Office, located at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, said in a statement on its Web site this week.

The pictures from March allowed scientists to refine the asteroid's projected trajectory, and "an Earth impact on 13 April 2029 can now be ruled out," the program office said.

Scientists also ruled out an impact with the moon.

Spacewatch is associated with the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Observatory.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
And here I thought we would get to experience prehaps the greatest wakeup call in the history of mankind, and now its been swept away by some scientists. Oh well, can't always get the doom and gloom you wish for I guess. You also may want to toss up a link or two to help support the statement.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Actually thats all I could find for the moment, sorry it was a CNN report, provide by the Associated Press. I tried a couple of other sites but my browser seems to be acting off, I keep getting booted off, probably some IE browser malfunction. this site seems to be the only one working right now, I will try and find something else and post it as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
heres the NEO (Near Earth Object) Program website

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here's another version of the story:
scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...
And here's your artaicle from AP,
GlobeandMail.com

new topics

top topics