It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using ATS on mobile phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm not a big poster on ATS but I generally use it to keep up to date on current events and interesting topics.of noticed as of late though that when I go on ATS on my phone I'm getting a lot of redirect ads where I enter the site and I'm automatically sent to another site for some stupid ad. I know ATS needs to make money, but I hope this is some type of bug because this really drives me insane and can't stand websites that do this and stop using them. Please just tell me this is a bug because I do love ATS for its content.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bigcountry08

Redirects are you and your device(s). We all don't ever have such issues.

MS

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Use the desktop version instead of mobile.

You can change it in account settings.

No ads. No ad blockers either before a mod thinks I'm breaking T&Cs.

It just seems to be a perk of mobile usage with the desktop version.
edit on 17-1-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I recently had a video commercial pop up while heading into work..kept loading when I was trying to read someone's post...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I've not had any problems like this. Most of my ATS browsing on an Android phone (up-to-date OS) with latest version of Chrome.

Does this not happen on any other sites?

I'd recommend you check your device for adware.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yep, I have the same problem. It's not on my end. It does it on a new, clean phone, i had the same issue. It would open a new tab, switch to it, it would then show a perpetual loading svcreen, forcing shutdown of browser. It works without issues, now that I've installed firefox with proper add ons.

Android on galaxy note5.
I think it may be a giant truck ad that is doing it.?

I think its the one at the top here: Site not really functional for me on Chrome.

This is the same ad on top here:

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Who is your service provider?

We've been able to confirm that our mobile ad providers have no ads in that position that would have a black background and rotating "loading" animation. We're 99.9999999999% certain this ad position is being taken over either by your mobile service provider, or malware.

I go through hundreds of pages on ATS mobile (both iOS and Android) every day, and have never seen that.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Ditch using Google as a browser , when i used firefox the problems stopped and as others said previous use the desktop version

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Same problem, so I joined and started using desktop version and the ads have all but vanished.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Thanks for the response Overlord!
My carrier is Verizon. Here is a screenshot of the blank page that opens with loading "sign".. It then stops me from going back to site, by closing the open ATS tab.

I don't use data, just wifi as my connection to the web and have my phone firewalled.
..not sure if that makes a difference or not.

It is odd that the issue doesn't persist with firefox. It may just be the way the browsers handle the ads.
I prefer firefox, so it's not a big issue for me. I will say the sites quality is much friendlier switching from ipad to android, in terms of putting together posts with picture, link insertion etc.

Added:firefox w/o add-ons works just fine

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: added to

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Im pretty certain that this is not a case of dns hijacking or malware. All you have to do is press F12 in chrome on a desktop to emulate a Mobile device to see there's a ton of broken script. The mobile devices probably go nuts. Mobile browser happens to choke and miss a closing div, the clickable area for the onClick event handler from a parent div ends up much larger than the user is expecting. They try to scroll the page -- BAM, redirected!

The scripting really could use some attention here, but lets not get ahead our ourselves. Only six lines of code into the main page and we have un-escaped double quotes in the meta tags. Don't take this the wrong way; I like the site and stories but some parts of the code appear to be neglected.

thx
-d

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

That's because the desktop version is not intended for mobile. We optimize for mobile in a hybrid fashion, a combination of back-end code and CSS/HTML5.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's been happening to me the last couple of weeks as well. Same thing. It doesn't happen at any other site.
edit on 18-1-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Same thing was happening to me, also using Chrome mobile. But it wasn't just this site. So I cleared the cache on the phone, then went into the. Chrome application itself, through the settings, and cleared the cache and data there as well. It stopped doing it after that.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
It's been happening to me the last couple of weeks as well. Same thing. It doesn't happen at any other site.

Same here on iPhone 6+ ATS on the mobile became unusable, only for ATS, took me to an ad, and if I clicked back it would take me back to the recent posts menu, as soon as I clicked on another topic, back to the ad. Tried Chrome instead of safari and haven't encountered a problem on it yet.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Is there a special URL to force the ATS web-site to render for small-screen / mobile format?
With some sites, its "m.whateverdomain.com" instead of "www.whateverdomain.com".
That doesn't seem to work for ATS?

join