It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Company exits Walmart Express pilot as part of closing 269 stores globally;

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I never really liked wal mart. I shop there out of convenience. But I wish it were a target or something else. I don't really believe every story that comes out of a wal mart but I am tired of hearing each and every one of them.

If only capitalism had some moderation to prevent the savage nature of it from running rampant.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

If only capitalism had some moderation to prevent the savage nature of it from running rampant.

Didn't there used to be laws against that?

I know there used to be broadcasting/air rights laws to prevent monopoly until Clear Channel and Michael Powell.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yes, indeed, there used to be laws and enforcement of laws that moderated capitalism. The start of deregulation in the 1980s helped get us to where we are today.

Beginning in Reagan’s first term, antitrust enforcement all but ended.

Who Broke America’s Jobs Machine?

the Securities Exchange Act in 1934. The act was a reaction to a host of unscrupulous activities that had fueled speculation in the Roaring ’20s, leading to the stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression. To prevent such shenanigans, the act gave the SEC broad powers to issue rules and regulations.

During the Reagan years, the SEC began to roll back those rules.
Companies have been allowed to repurchase their shares on the open market with virtually no regulatory limits since 1982, when the SEC instituted Rule 10b-18 of the Securities Exchange Act.
As a result, the very people we rely on to make investments in the productive capabilities that will increase our shared prosperity are instead devoting most of their companies’ profits to uses that will increase their own prosperity—with unsurprising results.
Corporate profitability is not translating into widespread economic prosperity.

Profits Without Prosperity

originally posted by: Annee

They've upgraded their food. They now carry organic and have a lot more health conscious foods.
Most people don't understand all the different brands are owned primarily by 3 large corporations. Mom-Pop stores can not compete in any market. If you want to own your own business, franchise.

I'm a progressive futurist, so I support evolving.

Definitely we need more organic, and WM would have the buying power to promote it. In re to the rest, I pretty much have to agree, as far as brick and mortar businesses.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
In the town i live in we have a Walmart that is closing.
But its closing because they are building a Super Walmart across the street.

Now we will have another big unused building in town unless they turn the old store into a Sams club.

Right now there are 6 large store buildings setting empty for years from stores that went out of business or moved to bigger buildings

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join