It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Darkness of Day...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Gah. I sound gothy. I'm actually just Canadian.

I live in an area that currently gets sunlight between 8:30 AM and about 5 PM... the majority of which time I am in a room where there is no visible indication of whether the sun still exists. You know what sucks? That.

I had never experienced quite this situation before, usually having a desk with a straight line of sight to a window. Lately, though... soooooo tired. Tomorrow, I'm going to put in a request for funding for two full-spectrum desk lamps. If that works out - helps with the complete lack of energy through the day - I'll request to convert the whole lab. (Software testing lab... not the cool kind.)

Anybody else work in a cave? Only know of the sun from legends? How do you cope?
edit on 4/1/2016 by CrikeyMagnet because: Apparently, the word "window" shows as an underscore?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet
Gah. I sound gothy. I'm actually just Canadian.

I live in an area that currently gets sunlight between 8:30 AM and about 5 PM... the majority of which time I am in a room where there is no visible indication of whether the sun still exists. You know what sucks? That.

I had never experienced quite this situation before, usually having a desk with a straight line of sight to a window. Lately, though... soooooo tired. Tomorrow, I'm going to put in a request for funding for two full-spectrum desk lamps. If that works out - helps with the complete lack of energy through the day - I'll request to convert the whole lab. (Software testing lab... not the cool kind.)

Anybody else work in a cave? Only know of the sun from legends? How do you cope?

This time of year, windows are no use anyway, (here the murk is persistent, with cloud and rain, and very dark all day) you'll just have to put up until mid January + as the days get a deal longer after the Dec solstice!

edit on 4-1-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The days are growing longer. Soon we will be able to complain about the heat.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yeah... unfortunately, I'll still be in a cave. The difference will be that I'll see the sun in the rearview as I drive to and from work. Hard to stay upbeat. So I say "Hell no!"

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
How about a big Ultra HD video screen on the Southern wall of the lab that connects to a camera that points to the South. That would serve as a kind-of synthetic external environment viewing aperture.

-dex

edit on 1/4/2016 by DexterRiley because: When did window become a bad word?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

Although it won't help where there is no sunlight, fiber optic sunlight piping into the bowels of large buildings is very promising.

Light Bandit sucks sunlight into your home like a straw

It's a pretty old idea, not sure why the early experiments didn't take off.
edit on 4-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You should consider Vitamin D3 as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've heard that the light therapy products work well. Take lots of vitamin D and exercise. Try to have fun/enjoy some time every day.
I lived shortly in W.A. state, when I was used to the sun. Wow, it really affects your psych. If I'm not mistaken it was one of the 2nd highest suicide rate
in the country. On top of working at a hospital where suicidal people flooded in often.

Moved out of state real quick. Need the sun and beach/or lakes nearby.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

Got a lunch time? If so, you could use it for a walk outside instead...and bring some food with you to make it up for it.

Not every day of course but even small doses can work wonders. I would also recommend one tea spoon of fish oil each day if you can`t meet the sunlight for at least an hour per day. Taste sucks but it is natural and very rich in vitamin D.

Good luck...and yeah office work can suck the living s# out of you

new topics

top topics

join